Super Eagles star Calvin Bassey is in contention to make his Eredivisie debut on Sunday afternoon when Ajax Amsterdam face off with Sparta Rotterdam at Sparta-Stadion Het Kasteel.
The Dutch champions shelled a Nigerian transfer record fee for a defender at 23.3 million euros to land the left-back from Rangers, signing him as a replacement for Lisandro Martínez, who switched to Manchester United.
Bassey missed the first two matches played by Ajax in the Eredivisie in the new season because he was serving a ban following his dismissal on his competitive debut in the Johan Cruyff Shield match against PSV Eindhoven.
The Leicester City academy product has been cleared to take to the pitch against Sparta with his suspension over.
Ahead of a potential debut, he was pictured training with his teammates at Ajax Amsterdam on Friday.
Timber and Daley Blind operated as centre-backs in Ajax's last league game with FC Groningen, while Owen Wijndal was deployed in a left-back position.
It remains to be seen whether manager Alfred Schreuder will bring Bassey into the starting lineup or hand him a league debut off the bench.
Photo Credit : ajax.nl
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Nigeria announce friendly with World Cup-bound CONCACAF team
- 18yo Super Eagles-eligible GK promoted to first team training by Crystal Palace boss Vieira
- UEL : Omonia coach hints at Super Eagles goalkeeper not starting against Manchester United
- 'I prefer ugly game and a win' - Boro's match winner Akpom reacts to victory against the Blues
- Out-of-date jerseys and four other observations from Super Falcons' 2-0 loss to Japan
- Japan 2 Nigeria 0 : Super Falcons extend losing streak to five straight matches
- Aris coach runs the rule over Super Eagles midfielder ahead of potential debut
- Former Nigeria striker hails Chelsea defender for superb UCL goal against AC Milan
- UCL wrap : Man City too good for Mukairu's FCK, Jenz starts as Celtic lose, Chelsea's Carney not in squad
- Chelsea hand UYL debut to promising striker Mendel-Idowu against Eletu's AC Milan
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- My Betting Sites Nigeria
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football