UCL : Osimhen hits the post, misses penalty as Napoli blow Liverpool awayPublished: September 07, 2022
Victor Osimhen had a disappointing night in his first game in the Champions League for S.S.C Napoli.
Osimhen managed to pass a late fitness test on Wednesday morning and started up front as a lone striker in a 4-2-3-1 formation.
He missed a penalty and got injured as Napoli thrashed Liverpool 4-1 at the Diego Maradona Stadium.
The Nigeria international was close to giving the Blues an early lead within 40 seconds when he raced onto a long ball but from a tight angle he hit the post.
Osimhen attempted to get past Virgil Van Dijk but was fouled by the Dutchman. The foul resulted into a penalty kick.
The 23-year-old stepped up to take it but his effort was saved by Allison Becker in the 18th minute.
The night got worse for Osimhen as he sustained an injury that prompted Luciano Spalleti to bring him off.
Giovanni Simeone was then brought on to replace Osimhen in the 41st minute.
Going into the game, Liverpool were considered as favorites but failed to live up to expectations.
The Reds conceded a penalty as early as the 5th minute, with Piotr Zielinski converting. Cameroonian Zambo Anguissa doubled Napoli's lead 14 minutes before halftime.
In the 44th minute, Giovanni Simeone and Khvicha Kvaratskhelia combined to score Napoli's third of the night.
At halftime the Naples based club had secured a mountainous lead against Klopp's army.
Zielinski then condemned Liverpool to a humiliating loss with his second strike and Napoli's fourth of the night in the 47th minute.
Two minutes after, Liverpool got one back through Luis Diaz.
Napoli are back in action on Saturday with Spezia the visitors before traveling to Glasgow to face Rangers on matchday two in Group A of the Champions League.
Photo Credit : uefa.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Watch: 2023 Super Eagles invitee Gift Orban sent off for the first time in his pro career
- Sheffield Utd's Nigerian defender watches on from the bench as Newcastle make PL history
- 'Should have scored at least 25 goals' - Bayer star Boniface reacts after breaking 29yo Bundesliga record
- 'Ended up as the dominant player' - Tottenham coach has his say on duel between Udogie and Saka
- Super Eagles watch: Boniface matches Haaland's feat, Dessers nets winner for Rangers, Lookman back to form
- 'Just needs to calm down' - Pundit reckons Tottenham LB Udogie had a shaky first half performance v Arsenal
- 'Some even compare him to Napoli star Osimhen' - Danish media hails Arsenal U18 hat-trick hero Obi
- 'Imagine him alongside Caicedo' - Pundit wants Ugochukwu to partner Chelsea's history-making midfielder
- Tottenham legend Harry Kane puts Boniface in his place after historic display for Bayern Munich
- 'He is going to sign an important contract' - Fabrizio Romano on the future of Arsenal super kid Nwaneri
- Football Betting
- Cakhia TV truc tiep
- Socolive TV truc tiep bong da
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football