Nigeria manager Jose Peseiro has explained that Wilfred Ndidi was forced to leave the international training camp in
Constantine, Algeria after suffering a relapse of an injury he sustained during the Premier League meeting between Tottenham Hotspur and Leicester City last weekend.
The Super Eagles midfielder was substituted with five minutes remaining in the defeat to Antonio Conte's team and it has come to light that he was playing through the pain barrier before making way for Boubakary Soumaré.
Sensational reports claimed that Ndidi was at daggers drawn with Peseiro because he was asked to play in central defence rather than his preferred holding midfield role for the friendly against Algeria.
In an interview with the Super Eagles Media Officer, Babafemi Raji, the Portuguese football tactician set the record straight, stating that Ndidi left the camp early in order not to aggravate the injury.
"We have that connection with Leicester, their fitness coach said to our fitness coach that he complained in the last match," Peserio said.
"When Ndidi came, he did training without intensity, a small training but with conditions, but he felt something in his hamstring.
"After yesterday's session, I thought it was better not to use him. I don't want to use a player in a friendly match only to see him sustain more injury.
"It is for that reason he went back to Leicester today, for him to recover faster there."
Ndidi's injury-enforced absence could open the door for Club Brugge newbie Raphael Onyedika to make his debut for the Super Eagles.
The 25-year-old Ndidi has missed the last six matches played by the Super Eagles due to fitness issues.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Leicester City's Super Eagles midfielder out for 'a few weeks' with hamstring injury
- Nigeria announce friendly with World Cup-bound CONCACAF team
- 18yo Super Eagles-eligible GK promoted to first team training by Crystal Palace boss Vieira
- UEL : Omonia coach hints at Super Eagles goalkeeper not starting against Manchester United
- 'I prefer ugly game and a win' - Boro's match winner Akpom reacts to victory against the Blues
- Out-of-date jerseys and four other observations from Super Falcons' 2-0 loss to Japan
- Japan 2 Nigeria 0 : Super Falcons extend losing streak to five straight matches
- Aris coach runs the rule over Super Eagles midfielder ahead of potential debut
- Former Nigeria striker hails Chelsea defender for superb UCL goal against AC Milan
- UCL wrap : Man City too good for Mukairu's FCK, Jenz starts as Celtic lose, Chelsea's Carney not in squad
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- My Betting Sites Nigeria
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football