Ajax Amsterdam insider Freek Jansen has underlined that Calvin Bassey is still learning the ropes as a central defender.
The Nigeria international, a summer signing from Scottish Premiership giants Rangers, struggled in his last two matches before reporting for international duty - against Liverpool in the Champions League and AZ in the Dutch Eredivisie.
Bassey is predominantly a left-back but Rangers manager Giovanni van Brockhorst moved him to the centre-back position following an injury sustained by Leon Balogun.
The Leicester City academy product was blamed for Liverpool's winning goal at Anfield, failing to stop Joel Matip from heading home from a corner kick in the closing minutes.
"He was still playing left back at Rangers around this time last year," Jansen was quoted as saying by AjaxShowtime, via Pak Schaal podcast.
"Then Van Brockhorst put him in the center of the left. He can absolutely do that. We have seen that often enough, for example at Rangers home. I really thought he was so very good in that place."
He added : "Only he now also experiences that he is being put under pressure against Liverpool and AZ. Opponents often choose the least central defender to put pressure on.
"Then of course they choose Bassey, because Timber is so comfortable with the ball. is a bit like driving a car for Bassey, you just have to do it very often and then it becomes his own."
Signed as a replacement for Lisandro Martinez, the Nigerian has been mostly used as a central defender since landing at the four-time European champions.
Bassey is currently on international duty with the Super Eagles in Constantine ahead of their upcoming friendlies against Algeria.
Photo Credit : uefa.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Leicester City's Super Eagles midfielder out for 'a few weeks' with hamstring injury
- Nigeria announce friendly with World Cup-bound CONCACAF team
- 18yo Super Eagles-eligible GK promoted to first team training by Crystal Palace boss Vieira
- UEL : Omonia coach hints at Super Eagles goalkeeper not starting against Manchester United
- 'I prefer ugly game and a win' - Boro's match winner Akpom reacts to victory against the Blues
- Out-of-date jerseys and four other observations from Super Falcons' 2-0 loss to Japan
- Japan 2 Nigeria 0 : Super Falcons extend losing streak to five straight matches
- Aris coach runs the rule over Super Eagles midfielder ahead of potential debut
- Former Nigeria striker hails Chelsea defender for superb UCL goal against AC Milan
- UCL wrap : Man City too good for Mukairu's FCK, Jenz starts as Celtic lose, Chelsea's Carney not in squad
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- My Betting Sites Nigeria
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football