Former Liverpool striker Michael Owen on Monday night weighed in on the first half miss by Super Eagles striker Taiwo Awoniyi in Nottingham Forest's 4-0 mauling against Leicester City.
Forest visited the King Power Stadium one place above Leicester who were bottom of the table and without a win in their matches so far in the topflight but the teams swapped places after 90 minutes.
Awoniyi brushed aside his marker to hit a low shot in the 22nd minute but it came off the foot of the woodwork.
Speaking on Premier League Productions, Owen noted at halftime : "It just shows that maybe in the Championship you can get away with some things and still win a game but these are massive moments in the Premier League.
"You can't afford to miss the opportunity. He (Awoniyi) didn't do a lot wrong. I thought the goalkeeper did particularly well.
"He stood up and made himself big and got his angles right. He didn't commit and make a mistake.
Speaking further on Awoniyi's near chance to score his third league goal for Forest, Owen said the following: :
"A lot of time when you're running through on goal like this, you want the keeper to make up his mind for you, dive at your feet or get his angles wrong but he didn't.
"He stood up and he (Awoniyi) gave him a problem, he couldn't finish it," Owen noted.
Nottingham Forest have now lost each of their five matches in the Premier League. Steve Cooper's team host Aston Villa at the City Ground next Monday.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'More popular than Wizkid', 'Saka for Golden Boot', What a goal' - Nigerians applaud England winger
- World Cup 2022 : Akinfenwa predicts England will beat Senegal 2-1 and Kane will score
- Arsenal boss Arteta takes two Flying Eagles-eligible players to Dubai for training camp
- Opinion : Why Fulham central defender Tosin should choose Nigeria over England
- Two Nigeria-eligible players named in Man Utd travelling squad for training camp in Spain
- Official : Udinese tie down 2013 U17 World Cup-winning striker to new deal
- Leicester City reveal why Super Falcons defender missed 8-0 loss to Chelsea
- Chelsea urged to re-sign 2022 World Cup star of Nigerian descent
- Battle of Lions : Bolton legend Okocha insists Senegal have what it takes to beat England
- Arsenal handed boost in pursuit of African winger
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football