The UEFA Champions League reached the halfway point on Tuesday night in Group B, with Porto registering a hard-fought 2-0 win over Bayer Leverkusen at Estádio do Dragão.
Porto were without a point to their name before hosting the visitors from Germany but have now climbed to second position in the group after their first win in this season's competition.
After a goalless first half, Porto made a breakthrough in the 69th minute as the pacy Super Eagles defender Zaidu Sanusi squeezed in a header after sprinting from inside his own half.
Three minutes from time, Mehdi Taremi made another crucial contribution, setting up another substitute Galeno to make sure Porto won the game.
Sanusi,, whose powerful header provided Porto with a platform, highlighted the fact that the Dragons remain firm in the fight for qualification for the round of 16,
"t was a very good victory for us, for our club and for our fans," Sanusi said to Porto's official website.
"I am very grateful to have helped the team to win the three points. We all work to be able to score when there is an opportunity and today it was up to me. It was an important victory for us and it keeps us in the fight for qualification."
Sanusi's strike against Bayer Leverkusen was his second Champions League goal, having opened his goal scoring account in the competition against Marseille on November 25, 2020.
Photo Credit : uefa.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'More popular than Wizkid', 'Saka for Golden Boot', What a goal' - Nigerians applaud England winger
- World Cup 2022 : Akinfenwa predicts England will beat Senegal 2-1 and Kane will score
- Arsenal boss Arteta takes two Flying Eagles-eligible players to Dubai for training camp
- Opinion : Why Fulham central defender Tosin should choose Nigeria over England
- Two Nigeria-eligible players named in Man Utd travelling squad for training camp in Spain
- Official : Udinese tie down 2013 U17 World Cup-winning striker to new deal
- Leicester City reveal why Super Falcons defender missed 8-0 loss to Chelsea
- Chelsea urged to re-sign 2022 World Cup star of Nigerian descent
- Battle of Lions : Bolton legend Okocha insists Senegal have what it takes to beat England
- Arsenal handed boost in pursuit of African winger
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football