Everton coach Frank Lampard has explained why he believes Super Eagles star Alex Iwobi is thriving in a central midfield role this season.
The legendary Chelsea midfielder repurposed Iwobi as a deep-lying playmaker partnered with a natural defensive midfielder in almost all the matches played by the Toffees this season.
In this new role, Iwobi is able to express his creativity and use his agility to evade pressure whilst also developing the positional discipline needed to play in deep areas.
Iwobi has had an exceptional start to the season, providing four assists in nine games across all competitions and was shortlisted for the Premier League Player of the Month for September on the back of his fine form.
In quotes relayed by Liverpool Echo, Lampard said : "He did a lot for us last season but he played some games at number eight and I really liked him.
"I felt it suited his talent in terms of strength, quality of pass, he can go either way on players and I think sometimes on the wing that is restricted because you can't go either way when you are on the line in midfield.
"There are so many talents that I would have not liked to have played against as a midfield player so and then it's just the consistency."
It is looking very likely that Iwobi will extend his stay at Goodison Park as talks are already underway over a new contract.
Everton, unbeaten in seven consecutive matches, host Manchester United in their next Premier League game on Sunday, October 9.
Photo Credit : evertonfc.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'More popular than Wizkid', 'Saka for Golden Boot', What a goal' - Nigerians applaud England winger
- World Cup 2022 : Akinfenwa predicts England will beat Senegal 2-1 and Kane will score
- Arsenal boss Arteta takes two Flying Eagles-eligible players to Dubai for training camp
- Opinion : Why Fulham central defender Tosin should choose Nigeria over England
- Two Nigeria-eligible players named in Man Utd travelling squad for training camp in Spain
- Official : Udinese tie down 2013 U17 World Cup-winning striker to new deal
- Leicester City reveal why Super Falcons defender missed 8-0 loss to Chelsea
- Chelsea urged to re-sign 2022 World Cup star of Nigerian descent
- Battle of Lions : Bolton legend Okocha insists Senegal have what it takes to beat England
- Arsenal handed boost in pursuit of African winger
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football