Chuba Akpom has revealed that the three points matter most as he acknowledged that Middlesbrough did not play fancy football during their 1-0 victory over Birmingham City at the Riverside Stadium on Wednesday night.
Goalkeeping coach Leo Percovich was in charge for the visit of the Blues as Boro had parted company with Chris Wilder earlier this week following a run of just two wins in eleven matches.
Making his first start since recovering from a knee injury that kept him out of the side for seven consecutive matches in the Championship, Super Eagles hopeful Akpom with a poacher's finish scored the game-winning goal midway through the first half after poor defending from the visitors.
The former Arsenal striker was delighted that Middlesbrough returned to winning ways after an unimpressive start to the 2022-2023 season.
Speaking to Boro's official website post-match, Akpom said : "Massive performance. I feel like we probably needed that, it has been a difficult start to the season for us but we knew that if we carried on playing with the intensity that we've been playing and creating the chances that we've been creating that the goals will come and the win will come.
"It is just about persistence. It is good to get the win now and we just want to continue like this for the rest of the season."
It wasn't the prettiest of games but Middlesbrough dug deep and showed their character to secure all three points.
"I don't think we are too concerned about if it was a pretty or ugly game. I prefer ugly game and a win.
"We've been playing a lot of pretty games and we've not managed to get a win. Today was ugly, we showed a lot of desire to get the win that we wanted," Akpom added.
With his strike against Birmingham City, Akpom took his tally for the season to three goals in five league appearances.
Photo Credit : mfc.co.uk
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'More popular than Wizkid', 'Saka for Golden Boot', What a goal' - Nigerians applaud England winger
- World Cup 2022 : Akinfenwa predicts England will beat Senegal 2-1 and Kane will score
- Arsenal boss Arteta takes two Flying Eagles-eligible players to Dubai for training camp
- Opinion : Why Fulham central defender Tosin should choose Nigeria over England
- Two Nigeria-eligible players named in Man Utd travelling squad for training camp in Spain
- Official : Udinese tie down 2013 U17 World Cup-winning striker to new deal
- Leicester City reveal why Super Falcons defender missed 8-0 loss to Chelsea
- Chelsea urged to re-sign 2022 World Cup star of Nigerian descent
- Battle of Lions : Bolton legend Okocha insists Senegal have what it takes to beat England
- Arsenal handed boost in pursuit of African winger
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football