Okoye and Uzoho errors : Former Super Eagles goalkeeper pleads for patiencePublished: October 13, 2022
Former Super Eagles goalkeeper Delẹ Aiyenugba, has asked Jose Peseiro to be patient in selecting his first choice goalkeeper for the three times Africa Cup of Nations winners.
Aiyenugba believes that having a good and reliable number one is key to the success of the national team.
"I just hope the coach in the national team will be patient and try to look for a number one. You need to have a number one in your team," Aiyenugba said.
"This is what is going on. They've not had a number one for about 3 years now. During our own time we had a number one, that's the reality.
"If you take a look at Germany they have Neuer and Ter Stegen. Neuer is number 1, Ter Stegen is doing well also, you just need to wait for your time."
The 38-year-old opined that every goalkeeper is bound to make costly errors, and has now pleaded with the Portuguese tactician to support the current crop of goalkeepers in the Super Eagles.
"Groom your number one, support him. Mistakes will come but you need to support him. Give him the courage, the motivation he needs.
"You need to do that because the goalkeeping department is very dicey. You just need to find that number one."
This statement is coming after the top two goalkeepers of the Super Eagles (Maduka Okoye and Francis Uzoho) have made costly blunders.
Francis Uzoho was the culprit in March 2022 when Nigeria played Ghana in a FIFA World Cup playoffs at the Moshood Abiola stadium in Abuja.
He fumbled a long range shot played by Arsenal's star, Thomas Partey and that led to Nigeria not making it to the world cup.
Recently he was caught napping in an international friendly encounter against the Fennec Foxes of Algeria as he couldn't save a long range effort.
Okoye has also been a culprit, failing to save a long range shot that was aimed at him in the AFCON 2021 Round of 16 clash with Tunisia.
Dele Aiyenugba was a member of the Super Eagles squad that couldn't make it to the knockout rounds of the 2010 FIFA World Cup.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Ex-Premier League star reveals how Iwobi contributed to nullifying Saka, Martinelli threat
- Iheanacho involved in three goals as Leicester City beat Aston Villa 4-2
- Golden Eaglets-eligible striker scores in back-to-back games for Manchester United youth team
- 'Showed a lot of skill' - Chelsea legend Glenn Hoddle waxes lyrical about 'intelligent' Madueke
- Ideho makes first appearance for Arsenal U21 after returning from Flying Eagles duty
- 'The changes were spectacular' - Flying Eagles captain hails Ladan Bosso for inspired substitutions
- Every word Zambia coach said on Flying Eagles, delay at airport, NFF, AFCON chances and more
- 'Supposed to be playing for U23s' - Manu Garba names the Flying Eagles player that impressed him
- Most expensive player of Nigerian descent in Chelsea's history sparkles on PL debut
- Nigeria 4 Zambia 2 : Sarki, Olamilekan, Uchegbu, Lawal on target for Flying Eagles in 6-goal thriller
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football