Manchester City academy product Lukas Nmecha is delighted to play international football for Germany's senior team.
Born in Hamburg, the Wolfsburg striker qualified to represent the Super Eagles through his Nigerian father and England, where he was raised, before pledging his international future to his native Germany.
Nmecha played for all the youth teams of England, U16-U21, before declaring for Die Mannschaft almost three years ago.
His first international match for Germany U21s was a 2-1 win over England at the Vitality Stadium, where he came off the bench for the last 31 minutes in March 2019.
After winning the top scorer award at the 2021 European U21 Championship, the center forward was promoted to Germany's senior team, for whom he has played seven times since his debut.
Ahead of the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, Nmecha's aim is to be back into Germany reckoning having missed last month's 3-3 draw with England due to a knee problem.
"I think it's always an honour to play for your country," Nmecha told Whoscored.com, when asked the confidence gained from being selected for the national team.
"There's a lot of, for example, Bayern players in the team, where they're winning every week. In the situation that we're in right now, to still get selected is very rewarding."
With 11 goals in 39 appearances since the start of last season, Nmecha is the fourth highest scoring German in the Bundesliga, behind Bayern Munich's Serge Gnabry (16), Borussia Mönchengladbach's Jonas Hofmann (15) and VfL Wolfsburg's Max Kruse (12).
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'Most African coaches don't respect themselves' - Udeze backs Onana in World Cup row with Song
- Graham Potter promotes German-born Nigerian RB to Chelsea first team training
- Official : Watford loan out teenage striker of Nigerian descent
- Crystal Palace's Nigeria-eligible winger emerges as transfer target for Sheffield Wednesday
- 'Joint top scorer', 'Too good', 'Magnificent' - Nigerian fans hail England's two-goal hero Rashford
- World Cup 2022 : Nigerian fans hail United States match-winner Christian Pulisic
- Okocha impressed with Gakpo's form but highlights Netherlands have not dominated games
- 'Security of the team', Led from the front', 'Just too good today' - Nigerian fans applaud Koulibaly
- 'The finish of a real marksman' - Ex-Nigeria striker praises Senegal defender's goal v Ecuador
- 'Sarr is not Mane' - Okocha reveals it's difficult for Senegal to replace Bayern Munich star
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football