Man City academy product Lukas Nmecha happy to choose Germany over Nigeria and EnglandPublished: October 14, 2022
Manchester City academy product Lukas Nmecha is delighted to play international football for Germany's senior team.
Born in Hamburg, the Wolfsburg striker qualified to represent the Super Eagles through his Nigerian father and England, where he was raised, before pledging his international future to his native Germany.
Nmecha played for all the youth teams of England, U16-U21, before declaring for Die Mannschaft almost three years ago.
His first international match for Germany U21s was a 2-1 win over England at the Vitality Stadium, where he came off the bench for the last 31 minutes in March 2019.
After winning the top scorer award at the 2021 European U21 Championship, the center forward was promoted to Germany's senior team, for whom he has played seven times since his debut.
Ahead of the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, Nmecha's aim is to be back into Germany reckoning having missed last month's 3-3 draw with England due to a knee problem.
"I think it's always an honour to play for your country," Nmecha told Whoscored.com, when asked the confidence gained from being selected for the national team.
"There's a lot of, for example, Bayern players in the team, where they're winning every week. In the situation that we're in right now, to still get selected is very rewarding."
With 11 goals in 39 appearances since the start of last season, Nmecha is the fourth highest scoring German in the Bundesliga, behind Bayern Munich's Serge Gnabry (16), Borussia Mönchengladbach's Jonas Hofmann (15) and VfL Wolfsburg's Max Kruse (12).
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Iheanacho scores another penalty for table-topping Leicester; Montpellier's Adams at the double
- Super Eagles forwards Moses Simon, Terem Moffi crack Ligue 1 Team of the Month
- 'The love for the badge is unwavering'- Osimhen insists he's committed to Napoli amid Chelsea, Man Utd links
- Quick and direct winger signs new contract with Chelsea
- Nottingham Forest fullback joins Super Eagles walking wounded ahead of Saudi Arabia friendly
- A bridge too far: Boniface unsuccessful in attempt to match Helmes feat but helps Bayer set new record
- Put me on the bench: Akpom tells Ajax coach he's unhappy playing as a No. 10 or winger
- 'Wasn't even a foul' - Ex-Liverpool fullback claims Tottenham star Udogie didn't deserve to be booked
- 'If he leaves in 6 months he will regret' - Ex-Napoli striker criticises Osimhen for not celebrating his goals
- 'I don't follow history' - Southampton loanee Onuachu admits he had no idea he set a record
- Football Betting
- Cakhia TV truc tiep
- Socolive TV truc tiep bong da
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football