After struggling at the start of the 2022-2023 season, Racing Genk striker Paul Onuachu is nearing his best form.
When the Nigeria international found the back of the net against OH Leuven at the weekend, it meant he had scored in three consecutive matches in the Belgian Pro League.
An addutor injury he suffered in pre-season kept him out for three games in total and he was unable to score for six straight matches following his return to action on August 14.
Although Onuachu was the subject of criticism from the fans and pundits alike during his dry spell in front of goal, he has claimed that he paid no attention to what was said.
Against Oud-Heverlee Leuven at the weekend, Onuachu netted the game-winning goal in the 16th minute after goalkeeper Valentin Cojocaru failed to deal with a shot from outside the box.
"A goal that had a nice build-up,” Onuachu says in Het Nieuwsblad, via Voetbal Krant.
"Mike, Bilal, me, we find each other. I decided in a split second to shoot. It was a fifty-fifty ball. It was in the corner just enough to outsmart the goalkeeper."
Continuing, he said : "I enjoy our football. And the confidence that the coach has in me. He expects me to make a lot of actions not only in the box but also outside of it. I try.
"I have not taken the criticism of the past months and I have worked hard to come back."
Onuachu is finding it difficult to seal a move away from Racing Genk despite his impressive goalscoring stats since his arrival at Limburg - 72 goals and 10 assists in one hundred and twenty one all-competition appearances.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'More popular than Wizkid', 'Saka for Golden Boot', What a goal' - Nigerians applaud England winger
- World Cup 2022 : Akinfenwa predicts England will beat Senegal 2-1 and Kane will score
- Arsenal boss Arteta takes two Flying Eagles-eligible players to Dubai for training camp
- Opinion : Why Fulham central defender Tosin should choose Nigeria over England
- Two Nigeria-eligible players named in Man Utd travelling squad for training camp in Spain
- Official : Udinese tie down 2013 U17 World Cup-winning striker to new deal
- Leicester City reveal why Super Falcons defender missed 8-0 loss to Chelsea
- Chelsea urged to re-sign 2022 World Cup star of Nigerian descent
- Battle of Lions : Bolton legend Okocha insists Senegal have what it takes to beat England
- Arsenal handed boost in pursuit of African winger
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football