Super Eagles striker Stephen Odey has claimed that his first goal of the 2022-2023 season was inspired by none other than Arsenal winger Bukayo Saka.
Odey ended a goal drought stretching back 214 days when he opened the scoring for Randers in the 27th minute of a 2-0 win over Vendsyssel FF in a Danish Cup clash staged at the Nord Energi Arena on Thursday evening.
Randers broke the deadlock from their first real chance of the game as Odey slotted home from an acute angle after he was fed by Tobias Klysner.
His strike was similar to Saka's goal against Leeds United in a Premier League game on Sunday, October 16 when the Hale Ender blasted a shot into the roof of the net from an acute angle.
Speaking to Randers' official webpage on his first goal, Odey siad : "I watched an Arsenal game, a goal by Bukayo Saka, so I said let me just shoot in the first place and see what's going to happen.
"If I miss as long as I have an attempt. It worked and I'm happy it went inside."
In truth, Odey has not been himself since the start of the season, firing blanks in thirteen consecutive matches in the Superliga before the trip to Vendsyssel FF.
About a year ago, the former Racing Genk man became the most expensive signing in Randers history after his loan deal was made permanent following a brilliant start to his career in Denmark.
"I'm still working hard to be the best of me and helping the team achieve something. I just have to keep my head up.
"By scoring today it is going to give me more motivation for the next games," Odey explained shortly after his brace against Vendsyssel FF.
Odey will be aiming to score his first of the season in the Superliga when Randers host FC Nordsjælland on Sunday, October 23.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'More popular than Wizkid', 'Saka for Golden Boot', What a goal' - Nigerians applaud England winger
- World Cup 2022 : Akinfenwa predicts England will beat Senegal 2-1 and Kane will score
- Arsenal boss Arteta takes two Flying Eagles-eligible players to Dubai for training camp
- Opinion : Why Fulham central defender Tosin should choose Nigeria over England
- Two Nigeria-eligible players named in Man Utd travelling squad for training camp in Spain
- Official : Udinese tie down 2013 U17 World Cup-winning striker to new deal
- Leicester City reveal why Super Falcons defender missed 8-0 loss to Chelsea
- Chelsea urged to re-sign 2022 World Cup star of Nigerian descent
- Battle of Lions : Bolton legend Okocha insists Senegal have what it takes to beat England
- Arsenal handed boost in pursuit of African winger
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football