'Something has gone wrong' - Ex-PSV star slams Ajax for signing Bassey as Martinez replacementPublished: November 06, 2022
Former PSV Eindhoven star Marciano Vink has slammed the decision of Dutch Eredivisie champions Ajax Amsterdam to sign Nigeria international Calvin Bassey as replacement for Lisandro Martinez whom Manchester United signed in the summer transfer window.
Bassey has not quite replicated the form that Martinez had come to be known in the Netherlands on a consistent basis with some questioning the arrival of the Super Eagles defender.
Vink is the latest to raise an eyebrow and he spoke to the popular Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf on his thoughts.
"If you get a player like Calvin Bassey for 23 million euros, then you have to watch him at least 23 times," Vink was quoted as saying by Soccernews.
"If you then see that that boy in that position cannot play football, then something has gone wrong somewhere. Don't forget how important that is.
"If you lose Lisandro Martínez, who is very strong in the build-up, and you get Bassey back for him, then you have a problem," Vink noted.
Bassey also attracted interest from Premier League clubs in England but once pointed to the history of Ajax as reason he chose to sign for them.
The Leicester City academy product is expected to be called up for Nigeria's November 17 international friendly against Portugal.
Photo Credit : ajax.nl
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Key stat shows dogged Tottenham left-back Udogie is the dirtiest player in the Premier League this season
- Iheanacho scores another penalty for table-topping Leicester; Montpellier's Adams at the double
- Super Eagles forwards Moses Simon, Terem Moffi crack Ligue 1 Team of the Month
- 'The love for the badge is unwavering'- Osimhen insists he's committed to Napoli amid Chelsea, Man Utd links
- Quick and direct winger signs new contract with Chelsea
- Nottingham Forest fullback joins Super Eagles walking wounded ahead of Saudi Arabia friendly
- A bridge too far: Boniface unsuccessful in attempt to match Helmes feat but helps Bayer set new record
- Put me on the bench: Akpom tells Ajax coach he's unhappy playing as a No. 10 or winger
- 'Wasn't even a foul' - Ex-Liverpool fullback claims Tottenham star Udogie didn't deserve to be booked
- 'If he leaves in 6 months he will regret' - Ex-Napoli striker criticises Osimhen for not celebrating his goals
- Football Betting
- Cakhia TV truc tiep
- Socolive TV truc tiep bong da
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football