Manager Jose Peseiro has defended Emmanuel Dennis in the wake of his penalty miss during the second half of Nigeria's 4-0 defeat at the hands of Portugal on Thursday night.
With eleven minutes left on the clock, the Cypriot referee pointed to the spot after Diogo Dalot fouled Bright Osayi-Samuel in the area.
Emmanuel Dennis insisted on taking the penalty but saw his kick saved by Portugal glovesman Rui Patrício, who pushed the ball against the post before it was cleared out of danger.
The Nottingham Forest striker would have felt confident he was going to score the penalty considering that he was on target from 12 yards in his last match for Nigeria, a 10-0 hammering of São Tomé and Príncipe back in June.
Peseiro leapt to the defence of Dennis, saying that most players in the world have missed penalty kicks.
"About that I speak with my players. In my team I won't allow someone kill one player ," Peseiro said to NFF TV.
"He missed a penalty, the next time we can train him more to score the penalty. We need to defend our players.
"Which players in the world don't miss penalties? Every player can miss a penalty. It was Dennis today, he has my protection."
Dennis was not the designated penalty taker during his time at Zorya Lugansk, Club Brugge, Cologne and Watford.
The 25-year-old's penalty conversion rate at club level is zero, failing to convert the only penalty he took while on loan at Cologne in the second half of the 2020-2021 season.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'More popular than Wizkid', 'Saka for Golden Boot', What a goal' - Nigerians applaud England winger
- World Cup 2022 : Akinfenwa predicts England will beat Senegal 2-1 and Kane will score
- Arsenal boss Arteta takes two Flying Eagles-eligible players to Dubai for training camp
- Opinion : Why Fulham central defender Tosin should choose Nigeria over England
- Two Nigeria-eligible players named in Man Utd travelling squad for training camp in Spain
- Official : Udinese tie down 2013 U17 World Cup-winning striker to new deal
- Leicester City reveal why Super Falcons defender missed 8-0 loss to Chelsea
- Chelsea urged to re-sign 2022 World Cup star of Nigerian descent
- Battle of Lions : Bolton legend Okocha insists Senegal have what it takes to beat England
- Arsenal handed boost in pursuit of African winger
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football