'I don't need Pepe's shirt for myself' - Finidi reveals why he asked for Portugal defender's shirtPublished: November 18, 2022
Super Eagles legend Finidi George has explained why he asked for Portugal defender Pepe's shirt shortly after the friendly between the World Cup-bound European nation and Nigeria at the Estádio José Alvalade in Lisbon on Thursday night.
The camera caught the moment as Finidi, a two-time World Cupper with Nigeria, and Moses Simon were requesting for the jersey of the former Real Madrid star.
Pepe decided to hand his jersey to a fellow player Simon, much to the disappointment of the Super Eagles assistant coach.
The former Ajax Amsterdam and Real Betis winger revealed that his son, a Real Madrid fan, asked him to get the shirt of either Cristiano Ronaldo or Pepe who both played for Los Blancos in the past, and he had no intention to keep the jersey for himself.
Finidi was attacked on social media by several Super Eagles fans for attempting to stop Simon from swapping jerseys with the Portugal defender immediately after a humiliating defeat.
Speaking to Premium Times, Finidi said : "My son asked me two weeks ago if it’s possible to get the shirt of Ronaldo or Pepe because he’s a very big fan of Real Madrid when they were at the club and I told him I will try.
"Getting to the field, we knew Ronaldo wasn’t going to start because he was sick. So I told Pepe in the tunnel, please after the game, I would like to have the shirt for my son.
"So, he told me that was fine. After the game, I saw he was changing his shirt with one of the players and I went to remind him of what we said in the tunnel before the game started.
"He said he was going to give his shirt to somebody else, a player, a Super Eagles player playing in his club (Porto), and that definitely, I will get the shirt. I was speaking Spanish with him and that was it."
Finidi registered four goal involvements (1 goal, 3 assists) for Nigeria at two World Cups in 1994 and 1998.
Photo Credit : Instagram
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Waldrum cites Chelsea v Liverpool as he discusses Super Falcons' showdown with clinical Bayana Bayana side
- Deborah Abiodun reacts: Super Falcons to face Bayana Bayana in final phase of Paris 2024 Olympic qualifiers
- Three uncapped teenagers who could break into Super Eagles squad before 2026 World Cup
- Back in the groove: Rangers striker Cyriel Dessers named Scottish Premiership Player of the Week
- Race for Victor Osimhen: Chelsea concerned about missing out on African POTY
- Kickoff to profit mastering football betting with Tedbet
- 'Didn't give Rashford a kick' - PL all-time top scorer Shearer hails Bassey for pocketing Man Utd striker
- Fulham midfielder Iwobi named in PL TOTW alongside Arsenal and Man City stars
- Who is Sylvester Jasper? The Fulham product observed by Peseiro; insists he's good enough for Super Eagles
- Medical update: Porto's Super Eagles LB Zaidu operated on by Cristiano Ronaldo's most trusted doctor
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football