Former Nigeria manager and African football expert Gernot Rohr is confident that Senegal will advance from their group at the 2022 World Cup.
The reigning African champions have been drawn in Group A along with the host Qatar, Ecuador and the Netherlands, and will open group play against the Europeans on Monday, November 21.
Senegal will be without their star striker Sadio Mane, who withdrew from the squad due to an injury he suffered in a league game against Werder Bremen before the World Cup.
The Teranga Lions have numerous star players with six of them on the books of English Premier League clubs, namely Kalidou Koulibaly (Chelsea), Idrissa Gueye (Everton), Nampalys Mendy (Leicester City), Cheikhou Kouyaté (Nottingham Forest), Édouard Mendy (Chelsea) and Pape Matar Sarr (Tottenham).
With Mane not available for selection, Rohr revealed that Senegal coach Aliou Cisse will be heavily relying on the experienced central defender Koulibaly.
On Senegal's two biggest stars, Rohr was quoted as saying by Wettbasis : "In Sadio Mane, they have a star who can make the difference on his own and in Kalidou Koulibaly, a very strong, athletic defender at the back.
"They have had the same coach in Aliou Cisse for over six years. You have several tactical options."
Koulibaly went the distance in all three group matches played by Senegal at the 2018 World Cup.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Germany's Musiala fails to break World Cup record held by Nigeria legend but sets two new ones
- 'Hope Potter is watching', 'Has been superb' - Nigerians react to Ziyech's display for Morocco
- World Cup 2022 : Ex-Super Eagles star reveals how Morocco must approach round of 16 game
- 'Osimhen would have been like Maradona in 1986' - Pinnick regrets Nigeria's absence in Qatar
- Five Super Eagles players that needed World Cup 2022 in Qatar as shop window
- PL Intl Cup : Anglo-Nigerian CB reveals positives from Arsenal defeat to Sparta Prague
- Premier League clubs monitoring the situation of Chelsea Academy product Aina
- Qatar based football agent pledges to support Nigeria's Emiloju FC
- Man Utd legend admits Bassey has not yet reached the level of Lisandro Martínez
- Leicester boss Rodgers takes teenage GK of Nigerian descent to training camp in Abu Dhabi
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football