World Cup 2022 : Okocha reacts to Lewandowski's missed penalty in Poland's goalless draw v MexicoPublished: November 22, 2022
Former Super Eagles midfielder and captain Austin Okocha on Tuesday shared his thoughts on the missed penalty by Poland superstar Robert Lewandowski in the goalless draw against Mexico in the second Group C match of the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar.
Poland were presented the opportunity to perhaps claim all three points in a close game but the Barcelona striker missed from 12 yards.
Okocha who played at three FIFA World Cups for Nigeria is one of the expert analysts on Supersport and spoke on Lewandowski's unfortunate situation.
"They (Poland) set out to try and not to lose the game and try and see if they can snatch it with a set play which they got but unfortunately (Robert) Lewandowski showed us that he is a human being after all with that miss," Okocha posited.
"You would have thought he is the right person to take it. He's the right person to give them that advantage that they needed.
Despite the Polish attention, the onetime PSG, Bolton Wanderers and Fernabahce star believed Mexico must be given a thumbs up.
"But they wouldn't have been the same because the Mexicans had a better game than the Polish team today.
Okocha also concurred that the penalty was well deserved and explained why.
"It was a penalty. The (Mexican) defender, Moreno, didn't make contact with the ball," Okocha told Supersport presenter Thomas Mlambo.
Mexico will play Argentina on Saturday who were shocked with a 2-1 defeat to Saudi Arabia earlier on Tuesday.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Dual national Gent goal machine Orban commits future to Nigeria over Togo
- Everton face a relegation battle again: Where has it gone wrong?
- Super Eagles camp update : All present and correct as Porto LB reports for international duty
- Arsenal's Super Eagles-eligible striker Balogun pulls out of England U21 squad
- How to find low deposit casinos for Nigerian players
- Eagles tactical session : Emphasis on crosses; Peserio experiments with Omeruo, Ajayi; Uzoho gets nod
- More drama Tuesday's training session as Super Eagles' CSO 'fights' with Nigerian journalists
- Parimatch : So much more than soccer
- Coaster bus, Stadium blackout : Peserio, Super Eagles stars frustrated over poor preparations
- The battle between Iheanacho, Moffi, Onuachu as Super Eagles face Guinea-Bissau
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football