Nigerian by blood : Chelsea product Musiala shines but Germany suffer shock loss to JapanPublished: November 23, 2022
Former Nigeria Football Federation target and Chelsea academy product Jamal Musiala made his FIFA World Cup bow and was in excellent form on Wednesday in Germany's shock narrow 1-2 defeat to Japan at the Khalifa International Stadium.
His fellow international of Nigerian descent, Karim Adeyemi was an unused substitute in the game.
Japan had an early goal in the Group E match 'scored' by Wataru Endo ruled out for offside but ultimately won their first World Cup game.
Germany then had a couple of chances which the duo of Antonio Rudiger and İlkay Gündoğan could not convert.
Musiala created two chances in the first half and offered attacking width for the Germans as he was offered a lot of freedom but lacked the composure to finish off a few decent shots.
Gundogan put Germany ahead from the penalty spot in the 33rd minute following a contentious referee call after Ream... was challenged in the box.
Musiala let fly a shot at the edge of the box a minute before the break but his effort flew wide off the target.
Germany thought they doubled their lead when Kai Havertz oked home the ball after Joshua Kimmich's shot was parried by the Japanese keeper to the path of Serge Gnabry whose low cross was met by the Chelsea forward.
However Thomas Muller was standing in an offside position when he slotted in the ball.
Musiala's 'dancing feet' thrilled the Germans in the stand but his eventual 53rd minute shot skewed off target as he cut in from the right flank into the Japanese penalty area.
With an hour played in the game, Gundogan hot the foot of the post with a low shot and saw the ball go out for goal kick much to the relief of the Asians.
Manuel Neuer made some strings of world class saves but had no answers to the 75th and 83rd minutes goals scored by Japan substitutes, Ritsu Doan and former Arsenal striker Takuma Asano.
Musiala was substituted off by Mario Gotze in the 79th minute.
Photo Credit : fifa.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Dual national Gent goal machine Orban commits future to Nigeria over Togo
- Everton face a relegation battle again: Where has it gone wrong?
- Super Eagles camp update : All present and correct as Porto LB reports for international duty
- Arsenal's Super Eagles-eligible striker Balogun pulls out of England U21 squad
- How to find low deposit casinos for Nigerian players
- Eagles tactical session : Emphasis on crosses; Peserio experiments with Omeruo, Ajayi; Uzoho gets nod
- More drama Tuesday's training session as Super Eagles' CSO 'fights' with Nigerian journalists
- Parimatch : So much more than soccer
- Coaster bus, Stadium blackout : Peserio, Super Eagles stars frustrated over poor preparations
- The battle between Iheanacho, Moffi, Onuachu as Super Eagles face Guinea-Bissau
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football