'That was a cool finish' - Ex-Super Eagles striker praises Doan for quality of his goal v GermanyPublished: November 23, 2022
Japan delivered a shocking blow to one of the pre-tournament favourites Germany Wednesday afternoon in the first Group E game of the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar with a 2-1 victory just 24 hours after Saudi Arabia handed same measure of punishment to South American champions Argentina.
Wednesday's performance and the quality of goals scored by the Samurai Blues especially the first elicited the praises of former Nigeria international Efan Ekoku.
Ekoku was on commentary duties during the game and had great tributes to make about the strike of Ritsu Doan.
The Nigerian began by speaking about the difficulty of goalkeeper Manuel Neuer to keep away that goal which inadvertently led to the equaliser.
"He's actually been a good goalkeeper (making reference to the German shotstopper). He tries to scoop the ball away, he knows he can't get it wide.
"He's looking for distance and maybe some elevation as well. He (Neuer) doesn't get that kind of luck and there he is (Doan). Not quite a straight tap-in.
"We've seen those type side-footed over the crossbar. That was a cool finish. I just stared at the German goal in the first half that was coming.
"Absolutely this one has been about 15 or so minutes, a well deserved equaliser," Ekoku who played for Norwich City in the English topflight said in the press box.
Spain and Costa Rica are the other teams vying for two round of 16 qualification tickets with Germany and Japan.
Photo Credit : fifa.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Iheanacho scores another penalty for table-topping Leicester; Montpellier's Adams at the double
- Super Eagles forwards Moses Simon, Terem Moffi crack Ligue 1 Team of the Month
- 'The love for the badge is unwavering'- Osimhen insists he's committed to Napoli amid Chelsea, Man Utd links
- Quick and direct winger signs new contract with Chelsea
- Nottingham Forest fullback joins Super Eagles walking wounded ahead of Saudi Arabia friendly
- A bridge too far: Boniface unsuccessful in attempt to match Helmes feat but helps Bayer set new record
- Put me on the bench: Akpom tells Ajax coach he's unhappy playing as a No. 10 or winger
- 'Wasn't even a foul' - Ex-Liverpool fullback claims Tottenham star Udogie didn't deserve to be booked
- 'If he leaves in 6 months he will regret' - Ex-Napoli striker criticises Osimhen for not celebrating his goals
- 'I don't follow history' - Southampton loanee Onuachu admits he had no idea he set a record
- Football Betting
- Cakhia TV truc tiep
- Socolive TV truc tiep bong da
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football