No World Cup debut for ex-Super Eagles hopeful as impressive Canada lose to BelgiumPublished: November 23, 2022
Canada handed World Cup debut to Samuel Adekugbe in their 1-0 defeat against Belgium Wednesday night in the second Group F match of the 2022 FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022.
Adekugbe was named to the substitute bench alongside former Super Eagles hopeful Ike Ugbo, the latter being a former Chelsea starlet who opted not to represent Nigeria after he alleged to be shunned by erstwhile Super Eagles head coach Gernot Rohr.
Three was indeed an interest shown by the Nigeria Football Federation in Ugbo but Rohr did not follow that interest up with a personal conversation with the striker.
Adekugbe came off in the second half of the game between their adopted nation and the second-best ranked national side in the world.
Canada had missed a penalty as Alphonso Davies' weak spot kick was easily saved by Thibaut Courtois.
Despite Canada's best efforts to redeem that situation through the duo of Jonathan David and Junior Hoilett , it was Belgium, semifinalists at the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia that scored through Michy Batshuayi when he latched onto a through long pass by Toby Alderweireld in the 44th minute to strike the ball powerfully to the back of the net.
Adekugbe did not have all the time in the game to influence the outcome from his left back role a bit more but did enough to make his quality shine through.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Best sites to predict football scores
- Opinion: The Arsenal transfer target Leicester City star Ndidi should replace at West Ham
- 'He's done okay' - Former Aston Villa striker urges Everton to cash in on Iwobi
- Lille ahead of Burnley in race for Gift Orban but Gent playing hardball over striker's transfer
- Official: FC Cincinnati sign Aghedo until end of the season plus club options
- Official: Bournemouth release 19yo winger of Nigerian descent
- Confirmed: Schalke 04 will not sign former Celtic defender Jenz on a full deal
- CIES report suggests Manchester United and Chelsea target Osimhen is valued at N38.1b
- Chukwueze's link with Real Madrid: Is Villarreal winger a better than option than Rodrygo?
- Southampton and Brighton join Crystal Palace in race to sign Chelsea's Nigerian defender
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football