'Goal of a marksman' - Ex-Super Eagles star praises Australia's Duke after lovely flick v TunisiaPublished: November 26, 2022
Retired Nigeria international Efan Ekoku reserved special praise for Australia striker Mitchell Duke after he opened the scoring for the Socceroos in their ongoing 2022 World Cup clash against Tunisia at the Al Janoub Stadium, Al Wakrah.
Australia, searching for their first win in Qatar following the opening day loss to France, started brightly and were rewarded with a goal.
Midway through the first half, Duke glanced a header into the far corner after Craig Goodwin sent in a cross from the left.
Ekoku complimented the Australia number 15 for having awareness inside the box, with the ball taking a deflection before he headed it into the net.
"That is the goal of a marksman, somebody who knows exactly what his position in the penalty box. Instinctive reaction, that's clearly onside, takes a wicked deflection, that just allows the ball to pick up pace," Ekoku said.
"Lovely little flick over the keeper. Aymen Dahmen has got no chance, always moving away from him into the side netting.
"He's just helping it on his way with some redirection. Quality finish".
According to OPTA, Duke is the second Australian player to score a header at the World Cup, after Tim Cahill who did so in 2010 and 2014 against Serbia and Chile respectively.
Tunisia posted a shutout in their opening game of the 2022 World Cup, sharing the points with Denmark in a goalless draw.
Photo Credit : footballaustralia.com.au
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Official: 2019 Fifa U17 World Cup star Amoo terminates his contract with Omonia Nicosia
- Former Chelsea defender reckons Tottenham star Udogie is Premier League's best left-back
- 'Slightly ahead' - 2006 World Cup winner rates Osimhen higher than Vlahovic in defensive phase
- 'It's almost unstoppabe' - 1994 AFCON winner Ekoku hails Eze for fantastic free-kick goal against Tottenham
- 'Wasn't meant to be sub'- Wolves coach explains why 15yo son of ex-Super Eagles star was named in squad
- Who is Tyrique George? The dual national winger who could be Chelsea's next breakout sensation
- Super Eagles star Aribo labelled 'brilliant player' by Southampton boss after injury-time winner
- Made in Africa goal: Wissa highlights Onyeka's role in acrobatic finish against Chelsea
- Arsenal-owned goalkeeper Arthur Okonkwo hits double figures for clean sheets in EFL
- 'Mac Allister is quality' - Ex-Man City defender Onuoha praises Liverpool midfielder for game-winning assist
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football