Nigerian fans react as Messi equals legendary Maradona's World Cup record for ArgentinaPublished: November 26, 2022
Paris Saint Germain star Lionel Messi once again came to the rescue of Argentina by scoring the decisive opener in their victory over Mexico on Saturday night.
Messi scored La Albiceleste's second goal of the tournament and ended up assisting the third, earning him the Man of the Match award.
And in doing so, the 35-year-old took his tally in the World Cup to eight, equaling the legendary Diego Maradona's record for Argentina in the process.
The Lionel Scaloni led side triumphed 2-0 over the El Tri of Mexico in a Group C match day two encounter played at the Lusail Iconic Stadium, Lusail
Messi who has won the Ballon d'Or award a record seven times broke the deadlock in the 64th minute with a left footed strike from outside the box.
In the 87th minute, Argentina extended their lead through Enzo Fernández who curled home after he was picked out by Messi.
Messi fans across Nigeria have taken to their Twitter handles to appreciate the talent of the Rosario born footballer.
Here are some of the tweets:
Photo Credit : fifa.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Victor Osimhen alternative: Bayer Leverkusen to demand at least N70b from Chelsea for Super Eagles striker
- Who is Gabrielle Onguene? The free-scoring Cameroon striker that can pose a threat to Super Falcons
- Paris 2024 Olympics qualifiers: Keep an eye on these three Super Falcons players against Cameroon
- Justin Njinmah: Werder Bremen's exciting forward to choose between Nigeria and Germany
- Battle for La Liga U23 POTM: Omorodion faces competition from Man Utd loanee, Barca and Real Madrid stars
- Age debate reignited: Flying Eagles coach Bosso justifies selection of academy boys over NPFL stars
- South Africa GK Williams opens up on what he told Omeruo, Aina, Ekong, Iheanacho before taking spot-kicks
- Porto team news: The likely player to replace Zaidu in starting lineup against Arsenal
- Onyeka credits AFCON for boosting his fitness; shares what Brentford boss told him pre-Man City
- 'Difficult to stop' - Barcelona coach Xavi highlights Osimhen as one of the key players to watch in CL showdown
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football