World Cup 2022 : Nigeria legend reveals what he loves about Morocco's win v BelgiumPublished: November 27, 2022
The Atlas Lions of Morocco pulled off a huge shock in a World Cup Group F clash at the Al Thumama Stadium on Sunday by beating Belgium 2-0 courtesy of goals from Abdelhamid Sabiri and Zakaria Aboukhlal.
With their victory over the European nation, Morocco only need to avoid suffering a defeat in their final group game against Canada to be sure of progressing to the last sixteen of the tournament.
The African side thought they had opened the scoring late in the first half through Hakim Ziyech but the goal was chalked off for offside after a VAR review.
Seventeen minutes from time, Sabiri became the first player to score from a direct freekick at the 2022 World Cup, and Aboukhlal sealed the win when he fired into the top corner in stoppage time.
Three-time World Cupper and Nigeria legend Austin Okocha, who was on punditry duties for SuperSport, revealed shortly after the game that he loved the Atlas Lions' win because of the way they managed the game after taking the lead.
Okocha said : "It's a well deserved win today and what I love about the win is after they scored they managed the game - the way they defended in numbers, the way they took responsibility to make sure that this Belgium team does not get anything against them today.
"I am overwhelmed with joy and I think we will say congratulations to Morocco."
Morocco will wrap up group play on Thursday evening with a game against Ike Ugbo's Canada at the Al Thumama Stadium, Doha.
Photo Credit : fifa.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Penalty or no penalty? Italy and Inter Milan great Bergomi has his say on incident involving Osimhen
- Super Eagles-eligible winger joins Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham stars in BBC's PL TOTW
- Gift Orban shows he's more than a goalscorer in Gent's 2-2 draw with Genk
- Fifa U17 World Cup: Germany's Brunner follows in the footsteps of Iheanacho; Ruberto emulates Osimhen
- Chukwuemeka sends message to Colwill as England defender scores first-ever goal for Chelsea
- Boniface ends 518-minute Bundesliga goal drought to help Bayer Leverkusen remain unbeaten
- Udogie features in six-goal thriller between Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur
- Nigerian player scores against Scottish champions Celtic for the second matchday running
- Transfer guru Romano tells Chelsea what to do in order to tempt Napoli to sell Osimhen in January
- 'It was a big moment for me' - Super Eagles striker reacts after first goal in West Brom colours
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football