World Cup 2022 : Nigeria legend reveals what he loves about Morocco's win v BelgiumPublished: November 27, 2022
The Atlas Lions of Morocco pulled off a huge shock in a World Cup Group F clash at the Al Thumama Stadium on Sunday by beating Belgium 2-0 courtesy of goals from Abdelhamid Sabiri and Zakaria Aboukhlal.
With their victory over the European nation, Morocco only need to avoid suffering a defeat in their final group game against Canada to be sure of progressing to the last sixteen of the tournament.
The African side thought they had opened the scoring late in the first half through Hakim Ziyech but the goal was chalked off for offside after a VAR review.
Seventeen minutes from time, Sabiri became the first player to score from a direct freekick at the 2022 World Cup, and Aboukhlal sealed the win when he fired into the top corner in stoppage time.
Three-time World Cupper and Nigeria legend Austin Okocha, who was on punditry duties for SuperSport, revealed shortly after the game that he loved the Atlas Lions' win because of the way they managed the game after taking the lead.
Okocha said : "It's a well deserved win today and what I love about the win is after they scored they managed the game - the way they defended in numbers, the way they took responsibility to make sure that this Belgium team does not get anything against them today.
"I am overwhelmed with joy and I think we will say congratulations to Morocco."
Morocco will wrap up group play on Thursday evening with a game against Ike Ugbo's Canada at the Al Thumama Stadium, Doha.
Photo Credit : fifa.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Report : Fulham's Anglo-Nigerian player a target for Inter Milan to replace Slovakia center back
- London Football Awards : Olise battles Arsenal trio Saka, Martinelli, Saliba for Young POTY
- Napoli set African record price for Chelsea and Manchester United target Osimhen
- Former Fenerbahce winger Victor Moses prays for Turkish earthquake victims
- Iheanacho partnered in attack by Harry Kane, Mbeumo in Alan Shearer's PL TOTW
- Super Eagles legend questions Chelsea's signing of Enzo Fernandez, treatment of Aubameyang
- 'I think it's impossible' - Reims chief comments on the future of Arsenal loanee Balogun
- FA Youth Cup : PL youngest debutant helps Arsenal overcome two-goal deficit to beat Watford
- Super Eagles-eligible player helps Chelsea break 113-year-old club record after PL debut
- Global rankings of best take on players : Chukwueze on the same level as Tottenham striker Kane
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football