'Every striker will be proud of that goal' - Okocha on Casemiro match-winning strike for BrazilPublished: November 28, 2022
Nigeria legend Austin Jay-Jay Okocha on Monday evening heaped plaudits on the quality of goal scored by Brazil midfielder Casemiro in the victory over Switzerland in Group G of the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar.
The Manchester United defensive midfielder fired a delightful shot past the Switzerland goalkeeper in what proved to be Brazil's only goal of the match after VAR denied Vinicius Junior's earlier 'goal' for offside.
Okocha was one of the analysts in the live studio of Supersport for the coverage of the game and responded to questions from presenter Thomas Mlambo along with the duo of legends Michael Owen and Kalusha Bwalya.
"Every striker will be proud of that goal. He's got it in his locker. There was a deflection but he will take it any day," the Nigerian said.
"I mean he was on target as well but you can see from the keeper's reaction that it was a deflection," former PSG and Bolton Wanderers star Okocha said on Monday.
"There is (joy) playing for one's fatherland. Switzerland have shown us today that if you find the fight way to play against Brazil that you might get something out of the game.
"When it gets to the knockout stage, all you need is to get it right on the day and you might cause an upset.
Okocha accepted that Switzerland was not expected to be an easy ride for the Selecao but the outcome turned out differently.
"We knew it was going to be tight but we didn't expect it to be this close.
"Like you rightly said, the goal coming from a defensive midfield player but it's good to see players taking responsibility knowing that when things are not going their way, they could go ahead and win matches for their teams.
"It's great to see the Brazilian team celebrating there, booking their spot in the knockout stage," Okocha enthused.
Brazil will play against Cameroon in their last group game on Friday.
Photo Credit : fifa.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'That was going in' - McFadden reacts to Forest striker Dennis nearly scoring v Man Utd
- Arsenal loanee Balogun steals the show with first career hat-trick against Lorient
- Zambia enough test for Flying Eagles ahead U20 AFCON - Former West Brom defender
- Danish club to pocket N0.8b from Genk's sale of Onuachu to Southampton
- 'I don't want to write him off yet' - Rangers & Ajax legend De Boer urges patience with Bassey
- Super Eagles icon Okocha likened to Di Canio and Matt Le Tissier by Chelsea, Man City legends
- Man Utd announce Anglo-Polish-Nigerian DM has been loaned out until end of the season
- Official : Motherwell loan in Tottenham Hotspur-reared striker Obika
- Madueke faces tough task to make Chelsea's Champions League squad after capture of Fernandez
- Done deals : Gent and Genk complete deadline day transfers of two Nigerian center forwards
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football