'Aboubakar believed he was offside' - 1994 AFCON winner on Cameroon striker's audacious chipPublished: November 29, 2022
1994 Africa Cup of Nations-winning striker Efan Ekoku has delivered his verdict on Vincent Aboubakar's brilliant goal during the second half of Cameroon's 3-3 draw with Serbia in a 2022 World Cup clash staged at the Al Janoub Stadium, Al Wakrah on Monday afternoon.
In the 63rd minute, the Al Nassr star, who came on for the Indomitable Lions ten minutes into the second half, cheekily chipped the ball over Serbian goalkeeper Vanja Milinkovic-Savic.
Aboubakar did not celebrate the goal initially because he expected to be flagged for offside but the goal was awarded following a VAR check,
Three minutes later, Aboubakar was again in the thick of things, teeing up Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting, who slotted home to complete an impressive comeback.
Speaking on commentary duty for the World Cup world feed, Ekoku highlighted that Aboubakar appeared from the naked eye to be offside in the build-up to his goal.
The retired Super Eagles striker said :"That's why the eyes can be deceiving. The feet of Nikola Milenkovic was keeping Vincent Aboubakar onside. What a finish that is.
"That's the final touch of a man who believes he was offside , that's a training ground routine that you go for."
Ekoku, 55, was a member of the Super Eagles squad to the 1994 World Cup but was a non-playing substitute in all the four matches the national team played in the United States.
Photo Credit : fifa.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'Martial is a waste of space' - Ex-Chelsea star urges Man Utd to sign Boniface when 25 percent stake is sold
- Flying Eagles-eligible player among young talents called up to train with Arsenal first team pre-Aston Villa
- To start or not to start against Liverpool? Crystal Palace manager to make late decision on Olise
- Pictured: Man Utd coach promotes two teenagers of Nigerian descent to first team training pre-Bournemouth
- Super Eagles GK crisis: Peseiro lands in South Africa to run the rule over Chippa United star
- Iwobi joins Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool stars in Premier League TOTW for gameweek 15
- 'I don’t have answers to' - Saudi PL chief Emenalo admits he doesn't know why Messi ended up in MLS
- 'Don't focus on the mistakes' - Arsenal Invincible Gilberto Silva gives advice to Nwaneri
- 2023 Flying Eagles invitee battles Tottenham and Man Utd starlets, 5 others for PL2 Player of the Month
- 'Back like I never left' - Fulham centre-back Tosin happy to make first PL start since May 2023
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football