'Security of the team', Led from the front', 'Just too good today' - Nigerian fans applaud KoulibalyPublished: November 29, 2022
Chelsea defender Kalidou Koulibaly put in a heroic display for Senegal as they became the first African team to qualify for the Round of 16 of the 2022 FIFA World Cup.
Koulibaly's header was his first goal in the shirt of the Teranga Lions and that was enough to seal Senegal's second win of the tournament.
The Aliou Cisse led side were 2-1 winners over the Ecuadorian national team in a Group A matchday three encounter played at the Khalifa International Stadium.
Ismaïla Sarr put the West Africans ahead in the 44th minute from the penalty spot after he was fouled in the box.
In the 67th minute, Brighton & Hove Albion midfielder Moisés Caicedo leveled matters for Ecuador after combining with Felix Torres.
Just three minutes later the defending champions of the Africa Cup of Nations got back in front through Koulibaly, who volleyed in at the far post.
Senegal went on to finish the group stage of the 2022 FIFA World Cup in second place with six points, one behind table toppers Netherlands.
Koulibaly's performance has made football lovers across Nigeria to shower him some accolades.
Here are some of the tweets:
Photo Credit : fifa.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'Martial is a waste of space' - Ex-Chelsea star urges Man Utd to sign Boniface when 25 percent stake is sold
- Flying Eagles-eligible player among young talents called up to train with Arsenal first team pre-Aston Villa
- To start or not to start against Liverpool? Crystal Palace manager to make late decision on Olise
- Pictured: Man Utd coach promotes two teenagers of Nigerian descent to first team training pre-Bournemouth
- Super Eagles GK crisis: Peseiro lands in South Africa to run the rule over Chippa United star
- Iwobi joins Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool stars in Premier League TOTW for gameweek 15
- 'I don’t have answers to' - Saudi PL chief Emenalo admits he doesn't know why Messi ended up in MLS
- 'Don't focus on the mistakes' - Arsenal Invincible Gilberto Silva gives advice to Nwaneri
- 2023 Flying Eagles invitee battles Tottenham and Man Utd starlets, 5 others for PL2 Player of the Month
- 'Back like I never left' - Fulham centre-back Tosin happy to make first PL start since May 2023
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football