'Security of the team', Led from the front', 'Just too good today' - Nigerian fans applaud KoulibalyPublished: November 29, 2022
Chelsea defender Kalidou Koulibaly put in a heroic display for Senegal as they became the first African team to qualify for the Round of 16 of the 2022 FIFA World Cup.
Koulibaly's header was his first goal in the shirt of the Teranga Lions and that was enough to seal Senegal's second win of the tournament.
The Aliou Cisse led side were 2-1 winners over the Ecuadorian national team in a Group A matchday three encounter played at the Khalifa International Stadium.
Ismaïla Sarr put the West Africans ahead in the 44th minute from the penalty spot after he was fouled in the box.
In the 67th minute, Brighton & Hove Albion midfielder Moisés Caicedo leveled matters for Ecuador after combining with Felix Torres.
Just three minutes later the defending champions of the Africa Cup of Nations got back in front through Koulibaly, who volleyed in at the far post.
Senegal went on to finish the group stage of the 2022 FIFA World Cup in second place with six points, one behind table toppers Netherlands.
Koulibaly's performance has made football lovers across Nigeria to shower him some accolades.
Here are some of the tweets:
Photo Credit : fifa.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- London Football Awards : Olise battles Arsenal trio Saka, Martinelli, Saliba for Young POTY
- Napoli set African record price for Chelsea and Manchester United target Osimhen
- Former Fenerbahce winger Victor Moses prays for Turkish earthquake victims
- Iheanacho partnered in attack by Harry Kane, Mbeumo in Alan Shearer's PL TOTW
- Super Eagles legend questions Chelsea's signing of Enzo Fernandez, treatment of Aubameyang
- 'I think it's impossible' - Reims chief comments on the future of Arsenal loanee Balogun
- FA Youth Cup : PL youngest debutant helps Arsenal overcome two-goal deficit to beat Watford
- Super Eagles-eligible player helps Chelsea break 113-year-old club record after PL debut
- Global rankings of best take on players : Chukwueze on the same level as Tottenham striker Kane
- Arsenal-owned striker of Nigerian descent makes senior debut for EFL club
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football