Okocha impressed with Gakpo's form but highlights Netherlands have not dominated gamesPublished: November 29, 2022
Three-time World Cupper with the Super Eagles, Austin Okocha is impressed with the form that Cody Gakpo has shown at the 2022 World Cup for the Netherlands.
Netherlands took top spot in Group A with seven points, one more than African champions Senegal, after their 2-0 victory over Qatar on Tuesday evening.
Gakpo leads the 2022 World Cup scoring charts with three goals, same as Kylian Mbappe (France) and Enner Valencia (Ecuador).
The in-demand PSV Eindhoven striker opened the scoring against Qatar with a lovely effort from just outside the box in the 26th minute.
And in doing so, he followed in the footsteps of Johan Neeskens (1974), Dennis Bergkamp (1994) and Wesley Sneijder (2010) who scored in three consecutive World Cup games for the Netherlands.
Whilst Okocha noted that the Netherlands were not at full throttle during the group stage, he singled out Gakpo for special praise.
In his halftime analysis on SuperSport, Okocha said : "It's well deserved, it's not a surprise because we said it they will want to finish top of the group and the man in form (Cody Gakpo) has been the one that scored the only goal in this half. "
He added at the end of the Netherlands v Qatar clash : "They've not really played well, dominated games, but they've gone out of this group unbeaten and they have something to build on.
"They finish top. Who knows the route that they will take now. They might face weaker opponents and that might give them the chance to go very far in this competition."
Netherlands will face the second placed team in Group B in the round of sixteen of the 2022 World Cup.
Photo Credit : fifa.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Victor Osimhen alternative: Bayer Leverkusen to demand at least N70b from Chelsea for Super Eagles striker
- Who is Gabrielle Onguene? The free-scoring Cameroon striker that can pose a threat to Super Falcons
- Paris 2024 Olympics qualifiers: Keep an eye on these three Super Falcons players against Cameroon
- Justin Njinmah: Werder Bremen's exciting forward to choose between Nigeria and Germany
- Battle for La Liga U23 POTM: Omorodion faces competition from Man Utd loanee, Barca and Real Madrid stars
- Age debate reignited: Flying Eagles coach Bosso justifies selection of academy boys over NPFL stars
- South Africa GK Williams opens up on what he told Omeruo, Aina, Ekong, Iheanacho before taking spot-kicks
- Porto team news: The likely player to replace Zaidu in starting lineup against Arsenal
- Onyeka credits AFCON for boosting his fitness; shares what Brentford boss told him pre-Man City
- 'Difficult to stop' - Barcelona coach Xavi highlights Osimhen as one of the key players to watch in CL showdown
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football