1994 AFCON winner blames Jordan Ayew, Amartey for Uruguay's opener, hails Suarez for assistPublished: December 02, 2022
Ghana face a monumental task to quality for the knockout rounds of the 2022 World Cup as they are trailing by two goals against Uruguay in their final group game at the Al Janoub Stadium.
It could have been a different story had Andre Ayew found the net from the penalty spot in the 21st minute.
The Black Stars were punished for not taking that chance as De Arrascaeta put the South Americans ahead with a close range header five minutes later and in the 32nd minute he volleyed home to make it 2-0 after a brilliant assist from Luis Suarez.
1994 Africa Cup of Nations-winning striker with the Super Eagles, Efan Ekoku, who is on commentary duty for the World Cup world feed, highlighted that poor defending led to Uruguay's opener and ingled out Jordan Ayew and Daniel Amartey for criticism.
"Not clever play at all from Jordan Ayew, communication perhaps lacking. That's got to be dealt with, not once but twice," Ekoku said.
"No reason for Daniel Amartey to go to ground, he's under no pressure. That's a wild swing, off balance.
"It's a decent save from the goalkeeper Lawrence Ati Zigi. He will be disappointed that one of his teammates was not able to clear that. Just a little bit outnumbered on the far post. As simple as you like 1-0."
Reacting to Uruguay's second goal, Ekoku said : "Luis Suarez with a clever flick, the awareness. And any kind of ball, enough pace on it before he is closed down by Daniel Amartey who's going to make it difficult.
"That's a terrific strike, the technique to get over the football, keep it down. Sweet strike, so close to the goalkeeper but never easy to stop because you really can't get your hand down so quickly."
A win will definitely see Ghana progress to the last sixteen of the World Cup but a draw could still send them to the next round if South Korea beat already qualified Portugal.
Photo Credit : fifa.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Report : Fulham's Anglo-Nigerian player a target for Inter Milan to replace Slovakia center back
- London Football Awards : Olise battles Arsenal trio Saka, Martinelli, Saliba for Young POTY
- Napoli set African record price for Chelsea and Manchester United target Osimhen
- Former Fenerbahce winger Victor Moses prays for Turkish earthquake victims
- Iheanacho partnered in attack by Harry Kane, Mbeumo in Alan Shearer's PL TOTW
- Super Eagles legend questions Chelsea's signing of Enzo Fernandez, treatment of Aubameyang
- 'I think it's impossible' - Reims chief comments on the future of Arsenal loanee Balogun
- FA Youth Cup : PL youngest debutant helps Arsenal overcome two-goal deficit to beat Watford
- Super Eagles-eligible player helps Chelsea break 113-year-old club record after PL debut
- Global rankings of best take on players : Chukwueze on the same level as Tottenham striker Kane
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football