1994 AFCON winner blames Jordan Ayew, Amartey for Uruguay's opener, hails Suarez for assistPublished: December 02, 2022
Ghana face a monumental task to quality for the knockout rounds of the 2022 World Cup as they are trailing by two goals against Uruguay in their final group game at the Al Janoub Stadium.
It could have been a different story had Andre Ayew found the net from the penalty spot in the 21st minute.
The Black Stars were punished for not taking that chance as De Arrascaeta put the South Americans ahead with a close range header five minutes later and in the 32nd minute he volleyed home to make it 2-0 after a brilliant assist from Luis Suarez.
1994 Africa Cup of Nations-winning striker with the Super Eagles, Efan Ekoku, who is on commentary duty for the World Cup world feed, highlighted that poor defending led to Uruguay's opener and ingled out Jordan Ayew and Daniel Amartey for criticism.
"Not clever play at all from Jordan Ayew, communication perhaps lacking. That's got to be dealt with, not once but twice," Ekoku said.
"No reason for Daniel Amartey to go to ground, he's under no pressure. That's a wild swing, off balance.
"It's a decent save from the goalkeeper Lawrence Ati Zigi. He will be disappointed that one of his teammates was not able to clear that. Just a little bit outnumbered on the far post. As simple as you like 1-0."
Reacting to Uruguay's second goal, Ekoku said : "Luis Suarez with a clever flick, the awareness. And any kind of ball, enough pace on it before he is closed down by Daniel Amartey who's going to make it difficult.
"That's a terrific strike, the technique to get over the football, keep it down. Sweet strike, so close to the goalkeeper but never easy to stop because you really can't get your hand down so quickly."
A win will definitely see Ghana progress to the last sixteen of the World Cup but a draw could still send them to the next round if South Korea beat already qualified Portugal.
Photo Credit : fifa.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 2024 Olympic qualifier: Five tactical tweaks Waldrum must make to avoid defeat against Cameroon
- 'Will never be less than 7 or 8 months' - Porto coach confirms key Nigeria LB Zaidu is out of WCQs in June
- 'We still can't rule out Arsenal' - Transfer insider claims Gunners can compete with Chelsea, PSG for Osimhen
- 'He has a big salary' - Ex-Spartak defender hits out at Victor Moses over work ethic
- Former Man City winger Wright-Phillips reacts to Bassey's opener in Fulham's win at Man Utd
- Iwobi's match-winning strike: Alan Shearer praises Fulham star for fooling Man Utd's Cameroon GK
- Chelsea star Madueke looking forward to Wembley showdown with Liverpool, inspired by Drogba's iconic volley
- Super Eagles watch: Dessers nets brace for table-topping Rangers; Watford's Dennis back-to-back home goals
- Return of 2023 AFCON heroes and four other takeaways from Bendel Insurance draw against Enyimba
- Former Tottenham striker Bent points finger at three Manchester United players for Iwobi and Bassey goals
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football