'They were punished' - Aghahowa explains why Ghana missed chance to qualify for round of 16Published: December 02, 2022
Former Super Eagles striker Julius Aghahowa believes Ghana handed Uruguay the initiative early in their final Group H match at the Al Janoub Stadium, Al Wakrah on Friday evening which led to the elimination of the Black Stars from the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar.
Uruguay defeated the team coached by Otto Addo 2-0 thereby denying the west Africans a chance of exerting revenge as Uruguay eliminated them in the quarterfinals via penalty shootout in the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.
Captain Andre Ayew also missed a first half penalty to further dampen Ghana's chances of progressing to the knockout stages.
"Ghana got it wrong from the start, there was no spirit of urgency in their play," Aghahowa said ruefully on Brila FM, Lagos on his analysis of the game.
"The fire started from the second half when they were already 2-0 down. If they had started that way from the first half, things might have looked differently
"They were punished, they fought for it but it was not enough to secure a win or even a draw," the onetime Wigan Athletic striker concluded.
Portugal and South Korea qualified from the group as the Asians defeated Cristiano Ronaldo and co 2-1 in the other group game.
Photo Credit : fifa.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Penalty or no penalty? Italy and Inter Milan great Bergomi has his say on incident involving Osimhen
- Super Eagles-eligible winger joins Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham stars in BBC's PL TOTW
- Gift Orban shows he's more than a goalscorer in Gent's 2-2 draw with Genk
- Fifa U17 World Cup: Germany's Brunner follows in the footsteps of Iheanacho; Ruberto emulates Osimhen
- Chukwuemeka sends message to Colwill as England defender scores first-ever goal for Chelsea
- Boniface ends 518-minute Bundesliga goal drought to help Bayer Leverkusen remain unbeaten
- Udogie features in six-goal thriller between Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur
- Nigerian player scores against Scottish champions Celtic for the second matchday running
- Transfer guru Romano tells Chelsea what to do in order to tempt Napoli to sell Osimhen in January
- 'It was a big moment for me' - Super Eagles striker reacts after first goal in West Brom colours
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football