'They were punished' - Aghahowa explains why Ghana missed chance to qualify for round of 16Published: December 02, 2022
Former Super Eagles striker Julius Aghahowa believes Ghana handed Uruguay the initiative early in their final Group H match at the Al Janoub Stadium, Al Wakrah on Friday evening which led to the elimination of the Black Stars from the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar.
Uruguay defeated the team coached by Otto Addo 2-0 thereby denying the west Africans a chance of exerting revenge as Uruguay eliminated them in the quarterfinals via penalty shootout in the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.
Captain Andre Ayew also missed a first half penalty to further dampen Ghana's chances of progressing to the knockout stages.
"Ghana got it wrong from the start, there was no spirit of urgency in their play," Aghahowa said ruefully on Brila FM, Lagos on his analysis of the game.
"The fire started from the second half when they were already 2-0 down. If they had started that way from the first half, things might have looked differently
"They were punished, they fought for it but it was not enough to secure a win or even a draw," the onetime Wigan Athletic striker concluded.
Portugal and South Korea qualified from the group as the Asians defeated Cristiano Ronaldo and co 2-1 in the other group game.
Photo Credit : fifa.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Report : Fulham's Anglo-Nigerian player a target for Inter Milan to replace Slovakia center back
- London Football Awards : Olise battles Arsenal trio Saka, Martinelli, Saliba for Young POTY
- Napoli set African record price for Chelsea and Manchester United target Osimhen
- Former Fenerbahce winger Victor Moses prays for Turkish earthquake victims
- Iheanacho partnered in attack by Harry Kane, Mbeumo in Alan Shearer's PL TOTW
- Super Eagles legend questions Chelsea's signing of Enzo Fernandez, treatment of Aubameyang
- 'I think it's impossible' - Reims chief comments on the future of Arsenal loanee Balogun
- FA Youth Cup : PL youngest debutant helps Arsenal overcome two-goal deficit to beat Watford
- Super Eagles-eligible player helps Chelsea break 113-year-old club record after PL debut
- Global rankings of best take on players : Chukwueze on the same level as Tottenham striker Kane
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football