2022 World Cup : Nigerian fans have their say on Ghana captain Ayew penalty miss v UruguayPublished: December 02, 2022
The Black Stars have crashed out of the 2022 World Cup after a 2-0 loss to Uruguay in a Group H matchday three encounter played at the Al-Janoub Stadium on Friday evening.
The West Africans were awarded a penalty in the 20th minute after Mohammed Kudus was fouled by goalkeeper Sergio Rochet Alvarez.
The skipper of the Ghanaian side, Andre Ayew stepped up and got his left-footed shot saved by the Uruguay glovesman.
This will be the second consecutive time that Ghana will be missing a penalty kick against the South American nation, with Asamoah Gyan failing to convert twelve years ago.
Five minutes later, Uruguay drew the first blood through Giorgian de Arrascaeta who headed home from close range.
In the 32nd minute, Arrascaeta got his second of the game after finishing off a flicked ball from Luis Suarez with a volley.
Despite the win, Uruguay also failed to make it out of the group stages after falling short due to having scored fewer goals than South Korea.
The miss by Ayew has drawn the attention of Nigerians, with many believing that his time in the national team is up.
Here are some of the best tweets:
Photo Credit : fifa.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'Martial is a waste of space' - Ex-Chelsea star urges Man Utd to sign Boniface when 25 percent stake is sold
- Flying Eagles-eligible player among young talents called up to train with Arsenal first team pre-Aston Villa
- To start or not to start against Liverpool? Crystal Palace manager to make late decision on Olise
- Pictured: Man Utd coach promotes two teenagers of Nigerian descent to first team training pre-Bournemouth
- Super Eagles GK crisis: Peseiro lands in South Africa to run the rule over Chippa United star
- Iwobi joins Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool stars in Premier League TOTW for gameweek 15
- 'I don’t have answers to' - Saudi PL chief Emenalo admits he doesn't know why Messi ended up in MLS
- 'Don't focus on the mistakes' - Arsenal Invincible Gilberto Silva gives advice to Nwaneri
- 2023 Flying Eagles invitee battles Tottenham and Man Utd starlets, 5 others for PL2 Player of the Month
- 'Back like I never left' - Fulham centre-back Tosin happy to make first PL start since May 2023
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football