2022 World Cup : Nigerian fans have their say on Ghana captain Ayew penalty miss v UruguayPublished: December 02, 2022
The Black Stars have crashed out of the 2022 World Cup after a 2-0 loss to Uruguay in a Group H matchday three encounter played at the Al-Janoub Stadium on Friday evening.
The West Africans were awarded a penalty in the 20th minute after Mohammed Kudus was fouled by goalkeeper Sergio Rochet Alvarez.
The skipper of the Ghanaian side, Andre Ayew stepped up and got his left-footed shot saved by the Uruguay glovesman.
This will be the second consecutive time that Ghana will be missing a penalty kick against the South American nation, with Asamoah Gyan failing to convert twelve years ago.
Five minutes later, Uruguay drew the first blood through Giorgian de Arrascaeta who headed home from close range.
In the 32nd minute, Arrascaeta got his second of the game after finishing off a flicked ball from Luis Suarez with a volley.
Despite the win, Uruguay also failed to make it out of the group stages after falling short due to having scored fewer goals than South Korea.
The miss by Ayew has drawn the attention of Nigerians, with many believing that his time in the national team is up.
Here are some of the best tweets:
Photo Credit : fifa.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Report : Fulham's Anglo-Nigerian player a target for Inter Milan to replace Slovakia center back
- London Football Awards : Olise battles Arsenal trio Saka, Martinelli, Saliba for Young POTY
- Napoli set African record price for Chelsea and Manchester United target Osimhen
- Former Fenerbahce winger Victor Moses prays for Turkish earthquake victims
- Iheanacho partnered in attack by Harry Kane, Mbeumo in Alan Shearer's PL TOTW
- Super Eagles legend questions Chelsea's signing of Enzo Fernandez, treatment of Aubameyang
- 'I think it's impossible' - Reims chief comments on the future of Arsenal loanee Balogun
- FA Youth Cup : PL youngest debutant helps Arsenal overcome two-goal deficit to beat Watford
- Super Eagles-eligible player helps Chelsea break 113-year-old club record after PL debut
- Global rankings of best take on players : Chukwueze on the same level as Tottenham striker Kane
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football