Battle of Lions : Bolton legend Okocha insists Senegal have what it takes to beat EnglandPublished: December 04, 2022
Bolton Wanderers legend Austin Jay-Jay Okocha is backing the Teranga Lions of Senegal to beat the Three Lions of England when both teams face off in a round of sixteen World Cup clash at the Al Bayt Stadium on Sunday evening.
Senegal booked their place in the knockout rounds thanks to a dramatic 2-1 win over Ecuador with Chelsea star Kalidou Koulibaly netting the game-winning goal, while England easily topped Group B after thrashing Wales.
Highlighting the strengths of the African champions, Okocha noted that they have several players with Premier League experience which is a fact.
Apart from Koulibaly, Idrissa Gueye, Nampalys Mendy, Cheikhou Kouyaté, Édouard Mendy and Iliman Ndiaye have also played in the English topflight
Okocha revealed that the England side are a lot more predictable these days and don't have players who can decide games single handedly.
Asked by Supersport presenter Thomas Mlambo on how he sees the game turning out, Okocha replied : "Number one team in Africa, I think they have what it takes to win the game because I don't think it will be an upset if Senegal wins.
"They have got players that play in the Premier League, players that know the English players and they know what they are coming up against, and they have looked at them.
"The England team is predictable in my opinion. They don't have players that have got so much flair to decide games so they rely on that team structure. Senegal have a good chance.
"England are not that physical, aggressive side anymore. They have changed their way of playing, they have adopted this complete football, trying to build from behind, go through the wings and put in crosses which is predictable."
Everton midfielder Gueye will miss the game against England due to accumulation of yellow cards.
Photo Credit : fifa.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Report : Fulham's Anglo-Nigerian player a target for Inter Milan to replace Slovakia center back
- London Football Awards : Olise battles Arsenal trio Saka, Martinelli, Saliba for Young POTY
- Napoli set African record price for Chelsea and Manchester United target Osimhen
- Former Fenerbahce winger Victor Moses prays for Turkish earthquake victims
- Iheanacho partnered in attack by Harry Kane, Mbeumo in Alan Shearer's PL TOTW
- Super Eagles legend questions Chelsea's signing of Enzo Fernandez, treatment of Aubameyang
- 'I think it's impossible' - Reims chief comments on the future of Arsenal loanee Balogun
- FA Youth Cup : PL youngest debutant helps Arsenal overcome two-goal deficit to beat Watford
- Super Eagles-eligible player helps Chelsea break 113-year-old club record after PL debut
- Global rankings of best take on players : Chukwueze on the same level as Tottenham striker Kane
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football