Battle of Lions : Bolton legend Okocha insists Senegal have what it takes to beat EnglandPublished: December 04, 2022
Bolton Wanderers legend Austin Jay-Jay Okocha is backing the Teranga Lions of Senegal to beat the Three Lions of England when both teams face off in a round of sixteen World Cup clash at the Al Bayt Stadium on Sunday evening.
Senegal booked their place in the knockout rounds thanks to a dramatic 2-1 win over Ecuador with Chelsea star Kalidou Koulibaly netting the game-winning goal, while England easily topped Group B after thrashing Wales.
Highlighting the strengths of the African champions, Okocha noted that they have several players with Premier League experience which is a fact.
Apart from Koulibaly, Idrissa Gueye, Nampalys Mendy, Cheikhou Kouyaté, Édouard Mendy and Iliman Ndiaye have also played in the English topflight
Okocha revealed that the England side are a lot more predictable these days and don't have players who can decide games single handedly.
Asked by Supersport presenter Thomas Mlambo on how he sees the game turning out, Okocha replied : "Number one team in Africa, I think they have what it takes to win the game because I don't think it will be an upset if Senegal wins.
"They have got players that play in the Premier League, players that know the English players and they know what they are coming up against, and they have looked at them.
"The England team is predictable in my opinion. They don't have players that have got so much flair to decide games so they rely on that team structure. Senegal have a good chance.
"England are not that physical, aggressive side anymore. They have changed their way of playing, they have adopted this complete football, trying to build from behind, go through the wings and put in crosses which is predictable."
Everton midfielder Gueye will miss the game against England due to accumulation of yellow cards.
Photo Credit : fifa.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'Martial is a waste of space' - Ex-Chelsea star urges Man Utd to sign Boniface when 25 percent stake is sold
- Flying Eagles-eligible player among young talents called up to train with Arsenal first team pre-Aston Villa
- To start or not to start against Liverpool? Crystal Palace manager to make late decision on Olise
- Pictured: Man Utd coach promotes two teenagers of Nigerian descent to first team training pre-Bournemouth
- Super Eagles GK crisis: Peseiro lands in South Africa to run the rule over Chippa United star
- Iwobi joins Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool stars in Premier League TOTW for gameweek 15
- 'I don’t have answers to' - Saudi PL chief Emenalo admits he doesn't know why Messi ended up in MLS
- 'Don't focus on the mistakes' - Arsenal Invincible Gilberto Silva gives advice to Nwaneri
- 2023 Flying Eagles invitee battles Tottenham and Man Utd starlets, 5 others for PL2 Player of the Month
- 'Back like I never left' - Fulham centre-back Tosin happy to make first PL start since May 2023
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football