Okafor, younger brother of Switzerland World Cup star, makes debut for Bayer LeverkusenPublished: December 11, 2022
Flying Eagles-eligible defensive midfielder Isaiah Okafor made his non-competitive debut for the first team of German Bundesliga club Bayer Leverkusen as they suffered a 3-0 defeat at the hands of Glasgow Rangers in a friendly on Saturday.
Isaiah is the younger brother of cap-tied Switzerland World Cup star with a Nigerian background Noah Okafor, who played three matches for the Swiss in Qatar before they were eliminated by Portugal.
The 17-year-old Isaiah joined Bayer Leverkusen from the youth team of FC Basel.in the January transfer window and initially played for the U17 team before he was promoted to the U19s.
Bayer Leverkusen manager Xabi Alonso handed Okafor his debut in the 73rd minute, bringing him on to replace Hlozek.
Okafor will be aiming to feature in Bayer Leverkusen's final game before the Christmas break - a friendly against FC Zürich at the Ulrich Haberland Stadium on Saturday 17 December.
This season, Okafor has made 18 appearances for Bayer Leverkusen's youth teams including six in the UEFA Youth League.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Confirmed team news: Three Super Eagles-eligible players ruled out of Manchester United v Chelsea
- 2015 Golden Eaglets invitee among three Gabriels on target as Arsenal edge seven-goal thriller at Luton
- WAFCONQ: Five observations from Super Falcons come-from-behind win against Cape Verde
- WAFCONQ Cape Verde 1 Nigeria 2: Super-sub Okoronkwo, Ajibade on target in come-from-behind win
- Bayer Leverkusen coach hints at strike partner for 'strong and technically excellent' Boniface
- 10 players including 3 invited to Nigeria national teams in the past in the running for Crystal Palace GOTM
- The top-rated Nigerian players in the Premier Leagues of Europe
- 'We know he's a very good player' - West Brom boss explains why Super Eagles striker is not starting games
- Houston Dynamo decline contract option for two Nigerian-born players; ex-Flying Eagles star Aliyu retained
- Dapo Afolayan: Exciting winger who learned his trade at Chelsea commits international future to Nigeria
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football