'Big' - Super Eagles star Iwobi congratulates fellow Hale End graduate on World Cup winPublished: December 19, 2022
Alex Iwobi has congratulated fellow Hale End Academy graduate Emiliano Martínez on winning the 2022 World Cup with the Argentina national team.
Iwobi and Martínez were once teammates at Arsenal before they both moved on to pastures new, with the central midfielder joining Everton in the summer of 2019 and the goalkeeper switching to Aston Villa the following season.
Argentina lifted the World Cup for the third time in their history after beating France 4-2 on penalties after it ended 3-3 in 120 minutes of action and Martinez was one of the standout performers.
The former Arsenal glovesman produced a brilliant save to deny Kolo Muani from scoring the game-winning goal in the second half of extra time and in the shootout saved Kingsley Coman's penalty.
Martínez was recognized for his outstanding performance at the World Cup, winning the Golden Glove as the best goalkeeper.
The 30-year-old was relatively an unknown quantity in his native Argentina until last June when he made his international debut against Chile before helping La Albiceleste win the Copa America.
After the showpiece between Argentina and France, Martínez posted on Instagram : 'Champions of the world'.
Reacting to Martinez's post, Iwobi commented : "BIG!".
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Super Falcons ratings: Kanu, Okoronkwo grab headlines; Nnadozie can't be judged; Okwuchukwu one to watch
- Official: MLS club St. Louis City SC exercise 2024 contract option on Nigerian forward
- WAFCONQ: Five takeaways from Super Falcons convincing 5-0 win against Cape Verde
- WAFCONQ Nigeria 5 Cape Verde 0: Kanu and Okoronkwo at the double in Super Falcons convincing win
- Nigeria-eligible winger who trained with Chelsea first team this month nominated for Goal of the Month again
- 'It's a bit annoying' - Fulham CB Bassey reflects on being booked for time-wasting against Arsenal
- 'He comes from the Belgian league' - Bayer chief defends Boniface over his dip in form in Bundesliga
- Super Eagles drop two spots in latest Fifa rankings after draws against Lesotho and Zimbabwe
- 'Shows I'm doing the right things' - Nathan Tella admits selection for Super Eagles has given him confidence
- Napoli coach Walter Mazzarri reveals exactly why Osimhen did not start 4-2 defeat to Real Madrid
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football