MLS SuperDraft 2023 : 2019 Golden Eaglets invitee among Nigerians eligible for selectionPublished: December 20, 2022
The official website of Major League Soccer has announced the list of over 360 players who are eligible for selection in the MLS SuperDraft 2023 on Wednesday with several players of Nigerian descent making the cut.
Former Golden Eaglets invitee Diba Nwegbo who is on the books of The College of William & Mary is among the eligible draftees.
A striker by trade, Nwegbo was called up to a Nigeria U17 training camp ahead of the 2019 U17 Africa Cup of Nations in Tanzania.
Other talented youngsters with Nigerian background in contention to be picked include Ugochukwu Achara (University of Louisville), London Aghedo (Air Force Academy), Ade Akinjogbin (Duquesne University), Justus Akinlosotu (Mount Saint Mary's University) and Emmanuel Iwe (Minnesota United II).
Ugochukwu and Iwe are forwards, while Aghedo, Akinjogbin and Aghedo are defenders.
Back in its early days, the MLS SuperDraft was the way for teams to add the most promising young talented players from college soccer, but that has changed as MLS academies grow.
Retired United States international of Nigerian descent Maurice Edu was the first overall pick in the 2007 MLS SuperDraft by Toronto FC and went on to win Rookie of the Year.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'He has clearly shown that he is of value' - Ajax coach satisfied with performance of Akpom
- Babayaro's Nigerian record is safe: 16yo midfielder Nwaneri named in Arsenal's matchday squad v Lens
- Official: Nigeria-eligible winger signs new long-term contract with Brentford
- Gianfranco Zola insists Osimhen would be perfect for Real Madrid amid Napoli striker's links with Chelsea
- The truth about Hull City's links with Super Eagles midfielder Fisayo Dele-Bashiru
- Why Super Eagles left-back Jamilu Collins was omitted from Cardiff City's gameday squad v West Brom
- 'Nothing strange' - Peter Rufai expects Super Eagles to correct their flaws ahead of resumption of WCQ
- Richard Olise, once touted as 'Reece James heir', returns to action for Chelsea after more than 21 months out
- APOEL Nicosia chief scout in Lagos for 20-team scouting programme
- Chukwueze finally opens his AC Milan account in defeat against Borussia Dortmund
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football