'Big mistake' - Celtic icon singles out Obileye for criticism after own goal against the HoopsPublished: December 21, 2022
Former Nigeria U23 invitee Ayo Obileye scored an unfortunate own goal in Livingston's 2-1 loss to Glasgow Celtic in a Scottish Premiership match at Celtic Park on Wednesday night.
Making his sixteenth consecutive start in the division, the usually reliable central defender turned in a cross from Liel Abada to give the champions the lead midway through the first half.
The Nigerian attempted to clear the ball from the danger zone but it flew into the top corner off his thigh.
Kyogo Furuhashi smashed the ball home after he was teed up by Abada to double the advantage in the first minute of first half stoppage time but Nicky Devlin pulled one back immediately with a composed finish past Joe Hart.
Legendary Celtic and Republic of Ireland goalkeeper Pat Bonner singled out Obileye for criticism shortly after his error led to The Hoops taking the lead.
"It's a big mistake. It was a good ball but you'd expect the central defender to be on the front foot and clear that ball," Bonner said on BBC Sportsound.
"He was back on his heels. If you're the centre-half you can't just stand there and let the ball hit you."
Obileye joined Livingston on a free transfer in the summer of 2021 and has established himself as one of the top central defenders in the Scottish Premiership.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'We have Adeleye, Ojo, Sochima' - Peseiro's sidekick urges Super Eagles coach to give chances to invitees
- 'I had an opportunity to get a hat-trick' - Iwobi admits he wanted to stay on against Nottingham Forest
- Nigerian tactician Hassan Sulaiman leads Chelsea into fourth round of FA Youth Cup
- 'Martial is a waste of space' - Ex-Chelsea star urges Man Utd to sign Boniface when 25 percent stake is sold
- Flying Eagles-eligible player among young talents called up to train with Arsenal first team pre-Aston Villa
- To start or not to start against Liverpool? Crystal Palace manager to make late decision on Olise
- Pictured: Man Utd coach promotes two teenagers of Nigerian descent to first team training pre-Bournemouth
- Super Eagles GK crisis: Peseiro lands in South Africa to run the rule over Chippa United star
- Iwobi joins Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool stars in Premier League TOTW for gameweek 15
- 'I don’t have answers to' - Saudi PL chief Emenalo admits he doesn't know why Messi ended up in MLS
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football