Carabao Cup : Awoniyi goal helps Nottingham Forest beat Blackburn RoversPublished: December 21, 2022
Super Eagles striker Taiwo Awoniyi was on the scoresheet for Nottingham Forest on Wednesday night in the Carabao Cup as they progressed to the quarterfinals stage of the competition with a 4-1 win over Blackburn Rovers at Ewood Park.
Aynsley Pears in goal for Blackburn Rovers denied Awoniyi with a brave block in the ninth minute of the match.
Awoniyi's strike partner Brennan Johnson converted from the penalty spot in the 13th minute after he was brought down.
The former Nigeria youth international however had a rather tepid game subsequently after his early effort and one moment of swift break involving him, Jesse Lingard and the resourceful Johnson who created numerous chances in the game.
Two minutes to the end of the first half, Blackburn scored a great goal as the Wharton brothers combined to secure a comeback at the time.
Former Manchester United man Lingard restored The Reds' one-goal lead seven minutes into the second half when his shot sneaked into the bottom corner via a deflection.
Awoniyi scored Forest's third goal in the 79th minute when he shrugged off the attention of his marker before finding the bottom corner.
The Nigerian was replaced by his compatriot Emmanuel Dennis in the 82nd minute, eight minutes before Johnson wrapped up the scoring.
Photo Credit : nottinghamforest.co.uk
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Confirmed: Most expensive African player in history returns to Arsenal
- Eight things to note on Super Eagles 23-man roster for AFCONQ v Sierra Leone
- Nigeria squad announcement: Arsenal, Man City, Spurs youth products called up for AFCONQ
- L'Equipe indicates Super Eagles vice-captain is surplus to requirements at Nantes
- Victor Boniface yet to start negotiations with any team amid Eintracht Frankfurt, Leipzig links
- 'Many lies were told' - Italian pundit claims Osimhen was not sincere about his Napoli future
- Brentford, Leicester stars named in Super Eagles expanded squad for 2023 AFCONQ
- Central defender of African descent returns to Chelsea
- Opposition watch: Canada include Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd stars in provisional WWC squad
- Super Eagles striker linked with departure from Southampton, drawing interest from 3 clubs
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football