EFL wrap : Akpom nets first career league hat-trick, Adeboyejo sets club record, Ladapo & Oteh strikePublished: December 26, 2022
Allnigeriasoccer.com's round-up of the players of Nigerian descent on target for their respective clubs in English Football League matches on Boxing Day, December 26.
We begin in the Championship. Super Eagles hopeful Chuba Akpom netted his first career league hat-trick as Middlesbrough thrashed Wigan Athletic 4-1 at the Riverside Stadium.
On 49 minutes, Akpom fired in a low ball to double Boro's advantage, rifled into the bottom corner for his second of the game and completed his hat-trick in stoppage time.
The Hale End Academy product, who is the joint top scorer in the Championship with 12 goals, is the first Middlesbrough player to score a hat-trick since 2018.
A division lower, Nigerian-born center forward Victor Adeboyejo took his tally for the season to thirteen in all competitions after getting on the scoresheet in Burton Albion's 3-0 rout of Lincoln City at the Pirelli Stadium.
After converting a spot kick in the 27th minute, Adeboyejo became the first Burton Albion player to score ten goals for the club by Boxing Day in the Football League.
Ipswich Town also registered a 3-0 home win, beating Oxford United at Portman Road.
Former Flying Eagles invitee Freddie Ladapo has now reached double digits for goals (10) in all competitions with his 39th minute strike against Oxford United.
Ladapo broke the deadlock when he slotted home the rebound after Chaplin's volley was initially saved.
In the League Two, former Tottenham Hotspur youth teamer Aramide Oteh's goal counted for nothing as Crawley Town were beaten 2-1 by Sutton United at Broadfield Stadium.
In the fifth minute of stoppage time, he fired through the legs of goalkeeper Rose to pull one back for the Red Devils.
Oteh, who counts Queens Park Rangers, Colchester United and Stevenage among his former clubs, has three goals to his name this season.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'He has clearly shown that he is of value' - Ajax coach satisfied with performance of Akpom
- Babayaro's Nigerian record is safe: 16yo midfielder Nwaneri named in Arsenal's matchday squad v Lens
- Official: Nigeria-eligible winger signs new long-term contract with Brentford
- Gianfranco Zola insists Osimhen would be perfect for Real Madrid amid Napoli striker's links with Chelsea
- The truth about Hull City's links with Super Eagles midfielder Fisayo Dele-Bashiru
- Why Super Eagles left-back Jamilu Collins was omitted from Cardiff City's gameday squad v West Brom
- 'Nothing strange' - Peter Rufai expects Super Eagles to correct their flaws ahead of resumption of WCQ
- Richard Olise, once touted as 'Reece James heir', returns to action for Chelsea after more than 21 months out
- APOEL Nicosia chief scout in Lagos for 20-team scouting programme
- Chukwueze finally opens his AC Milan account in defeat against Borussia Dortmund
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football