Official : Liverpool win race for Man Utd-linked Netherlands star of African descentPublished: December 27, 2022
Liverpool have won the race for the signature of cap-tied Netherlands international of African descent Cody Gakpo.
PSV Eindhoven confirmed on Boxing Day that they have reached an agreement with Liverpool on the proposed transfer of Gakpo.
The 23-year-old will now travel to England where he will be subjected to the necessary formalities ahead of the completion of the transfer.
Although both clubs are not making any announcements on the transfer fee, PSV Eindhoven's general manager Marcel Brands told the club's official website that 'this is a record transfer for PSV'.
Gakpo was on the radar of several high profile clubs after starring at the 2022 World Cup, where he netted three goals in five appearances,
Besides Liverpool, Manchester United were serious about signing Gakpo and there was also interest from Real Madrid and Bayern Munich.
Gakpo is set to depart PSV Eindhoven after registering 55 goals and 50 assists in 159 appearances across all competitions.
He was eligible to represent Ghana and Togo internationally before becoming cap-tied to Netherlands.
Photo Credit : fifa.com
- Super Falcons ratings: Kanu, Okoronkwo grab headlines; Nnadozie can't be judged; Okwuchukwu one to watch
- Official: MLS club St. Louis City SC exercise 2024 contract option on Nigerian forward
- WAFCONQ: Five takeaways from Super Falcons convincing 5-0 win against Cape Verde
- WAFCONQ Nigeria 5 Cape Verde 0: Kanu and Okoronkwo at the double in Super Falcons convincing win
- Nigeria-eligible winger who trained with Chelsea first team this month nominated for Goal of the Month again
- 'It's a bit annoying' - Fulham CB Bassey reflects on being booked for time-wasting against Arsenal
- 'He comes from the Belgian league' - Bayer chief defends Boniface over his dip in form in Bundesliga
- Super Eagles drop two spots in latest Fifa rankings after draws against Lesotho and Zimbabwe
- 'Shows I'm doing the right things' - Nathan Tella admits selection for Super Eagles has given him confidence
- Napoli coach Walter Mazzarri reveals exactly why Osimhen did not start 4-2 defeat to Real Madrid
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football