Five takeaways from Osimhen and Chukwueze performances in Napoli, Villarreal gamesPublished: January 13, 2023
Super Eagles duo of Victor Osimhen and Samuel Chukwueze were in action for their clubs on Friday night in the Serie A and La Liga against Juventus and Celta Vigo respectively.
Villarreal drew 1-1 with Celta Vigo at the Abanca-Balaídos (Vigo) while Napoli humiliated the 'Old Lady' Juventus with a 5-1 win at the Diego Maradona Stadium.
The following are five things observed from the matches the duo were involved in tonight.
1. Assists For Osimhen, Chukwueze
Both Nigerians assisted for their teammates on Friday night - proving to be team players as well as being ice-cool finishers.
Chukwueze found Gerard Moreno with a clipped pass and the Spaniard did the rest, unleashing an unstoppable shot that Celta Vigo goalkeeper could not stop.
Osimhen on his part, aside scoring with a header, turned provider.
After Osimhen's 14th minute goal, he turned provider for teammate, Khvicha Kvaratskhelia.
Osimhen selflessly squared the ball to the Georgian winger after a sloppy clearance by Brazilian defender, Bremer.
Kvaratskhelia opened up his body and fired the ball past Wojciech Szczęsny into the far post.
2. 'Head Gear' For Osimhen
Victor Osimhen was in devastating form against Juventus and scored Friday night with two headers.
Despite the threat that he apparently possesses, the defenders in the Italian top-flight have little or no answers to the Nigerian.
He scored his 11th and 12th league goals with perfect headed goals.
3. The Physical Osimhen
There were a few physical battles in the game. Osimhen was a target a few times from the big Juve defenders.
The Nigerian also inadvertently got himself in a spot of bother - first he left a flailing arm on the cheek of Manuel Locatelli which meant the latter required medical attention.
Osimhen then forcefully nudged Brazilian defender, Sandro to the ground.
The imposing nature of his game is not a bad idea albeit he has to be careful not to overtly do this often.
4. The 'Imperfect' Osimhen
In the 59th minute of the game, Osimhen had a great chance to score again or square the ball to a teammate but he went for glory and blasted his shot wide after being closed down by his marker.
He could have racked up his numbers in the assist column with a better decision.
5. Chukwueze Final Passes
Samuel Chukwueze was brilliant on the night and used his pace and trickery to great effect but at few times, he didn't release his teammates on time.
The delay in getting some of the attacking moves going contributed somewhat in the scoreline not being more than it was.
But take nothing away from the winger he looked threatening with and without the ball.
Photo Credit : sscnapoli.it
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- What has gone wrong for Samuel Chukwueze at Italian giants AC Milan?
- Moffi's fastest goal of the season not enough as OGC Nice succumb to defeat against Toulouse
- Official: 2019 Fifa U17 World Cup star Amoo terminates his contract with Omonia Nicosia
- Former Chelsea defender reckons Tottenham star Udogie is Premier League's best left-back
- 'Slightly ahead' - 2006 World Cup winner rates Osimhen higher than Vlahovic in defensive phase
- 'It's almost unstoppabe' - 1994 AFCON winner Ekoku hails Eze for fantastic free-kick goal against Tottenham
- 'Wasn't meant to be sub'- Wolves coach explains why 15yo son of ex-Super Eagles star was named in squad
- Who is Tyrique George? The dual national winger who could be Chelsea's next breakout sensation
- Super Eagles star Aribo labelled 'brilliant player' by Southampton boss after injury-time winner
- Made in Africa goal: Wissa highlights Onyeka's role in acrobatic finish against Chelsea
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football