19yo Super Eagles-eligible central defender makes senior debut for Glasgow CelticPublished: January 21, 2023
Republic of Ireland underage international of Nigerian descent Bosun Lawal made his long-awaited debut for Glasgow Celtic's first team on Saturday afternoon in a Scottish Cup clash against Efe Ambrose's Greenock Morton.
Wearing the number 50 at the back of his jersey, the Super Eagles-eligible central defender stepped out onto the Celtic Park turf as a replacement for Carl Starfelt with three minutes left on the clock.
Lawal's first team debut for the Hoops was inevitable after his impressive performances for Celtic's reserve team.
The 19-year-old was a reserve option for Celtic in their Premiership matches against Aberdeen and St. Johnstone after the 2022 World Cup break but was not utilized off the bench by manager Ange Postecoglou.
He is often invited to train with Celtic's first team and was handed minutes by the Australian football tactician in a friendly against A-League side Sydney FC two months ago.
Lawal joined Celtic in the summer of 2021 after rejecting a professional contract at Watford, where he was named the Academy Player of the Year in his final season at Vicarage Road.
Celtic are into the fifth round of the Scottish Cup after a 5-0 rout of Greenock Morton, courtesy of goals from Aaron Mooy (2), David Turnbull and Kyogo (2)
Photo Credit : celticfc.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'Martial is a waste of space' - Ex-Chelsea star urges Man Utd to sign Boniface when 25 percent stake is sold
- Flying Eagles-eligible player among young talents called up to train with Arsenal first team pre-Aston Villa
- To start or not to start against Liverpool? Crystal Palace manager to make late decision on Olise
- Pictured: Man Utd coach promotes two teenagers of Nigerian descent to first team training pre-Bournemouth
- Super Eagles GK crisis: Peseiro lands in South Africa to run the rule over Chippa United star
- Iwobi joins Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool stars in Premier League TOTW for gameweek 15
- 'I don’t have answers to' - Saudi PL chief Emenalo admits he doesn't know why Messi ended up in MLS
- 'Don't focus on the mistakes' - Arsenal Invincible Gilberto Silva gives advice to Nwaneri
- 2023 Flying Eagles invitee battles Tottenham and Man Utd starlets, 5 others for PL2 Player of the Month
- 'Back like I never left' - Fulham centre-back Tosin happy to make first PL start since May 2023
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football