'Boys are scared' - Van Nistelrooy on reaction of PSV stars to Madueke's departure to ChelseaPublished: January 22, 2023
PSV Eindhoven manager Ruud van Nistelrooy has admitted that his players were concerned about the ambitions of the club following the recent departure of Nonso Madueke to Chelsea.
The England U21 international of Nigerian descent ended a five-year association with the Eredivisie powerhouse after putting pen to paper on a multi-year contract with Chelsea.
PSV agreed to terminate the contract of the former Tottenham Hotspur youth team skipper before its expiration in exchange for a transfer fee of 35 million euros.
Prior to Madueke's move to Chelsea, the Eindhoven club already lost one of their top players in 2022 World Cup star Cody Gakpo who was acquired by Liverpool this month.
Speaking at a press conference after his side's 1-0 win over Vitesse on Saturday, Van Nistelrooy detailed how Madueke suddenly left training on Thursday and how the players reacted after it became clear that the Anglo-Nigerian was moving on to pastures new.
"On Thursday we were training and Noni was taken off the field because he was going to make a transfer, " Van Nistelrooy was quoted as saying by Voetbal International.
"Then, of course, something happens in a group like that. He gave his farewell speech while we had already done the warm-up and position play and were going to the eleven against eleven towards the game.
"He was then applauded and then you just do it in a different way. Then you think: what is happening? '
The former Manchester United striker added : "Those are sentiments that come into play. You can see that boys are scared, because we lose another good player.
"They also know what a hole it leaves if you miss those players."
PSV ae on the verge of confirming the capture of Wolverhampton Wanderers striker Fabio Silva as a replacement for Madueke, with a loan move until the end of the 2022-2023 season being mooted.
Photo Credit : chelseafc.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Official : Newly capped Norway U20 winger with Nigerian passport joins Bodo/Glimt
- Report : Spartak make transfer decision on ex-Chelsea star Moses ahead of summer window
- Lens join Brentford in race to sign defender who impressed for Super Eagles v Guinea-Bissau
- Done deal : Glasgow Rangers confirm signing of 2023 Flying Eagles invitee
- Balogun's international future : Arsenal boss Arteta shares advice to Super Eagles-eligible striker
- Dennis' chip against Newcastle up for Nottingham Forest Goal of the Month
- Nigeria-eligible striker joins Southampton on pro terms after trialing at Chelsea, Man Utd
- How is Man United prospect Shoretire performing on loan at Bolton?
- Arsenal tracking 25-cap Nigeria international as potential replacement for Balogun
- Another Nigerian player battling to overcome injury ahead of Italian Serie A return
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football