Confirmed : Madueke inherits Chelsea shirt number worn by Africa's only Ballon d'Or winnerPublished: January 23, 2023
With a statement on their official website, Chelsea have confirmed the shirt number England U21 international of Nigerian descent Nonso Madueke will wear for the remainder of the 2022-2023 season.
The exciting winger ended a five-year association with Dutch giants PSV Eindhoven last week after putting pen to paper on a seven-and-a-half-year contract with Chelsea who hold the option to extend his stay by a further year.
With the number 10 and 23 jerseys he wore at PSV already taken by Christian Pulisic and Conor Gallagher respectively, Madueke has chosen to wear the number 31 jersey at The Blues.
The Anglo-Nigerian has never worn number 31 before in his career for club and country.
George Weah, Africa's only player to win the Ballon d'Or, wore Chelsea's number 31 jersey during his loan spell in the second half of the 1999-2000 season.
Other players to have worn the number 31 for Chelsea include onetime Nigeria Football Federation target Fikayo Tomori, Malang Sarr, Nathan Baxter, Jamie Cumming, Rob Green, Andreas Christensen, Filipe Oliveira, Marco Ambrosio and Mark Bosnich.
Former Crystal Palace and Tottenham Hotspur youth teamer, Madueke is an U21 player and will not take up a spot on Chelsea's main Premier League roster.
Photo Credit : chelseafc.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Waldrum cites Chelsea v Liverpool as he discusses Super Falcons' showdown with clinical Bayana Bayana side
- Deborah Abiodun reacts: Super Falcons to face Bayana Bayana in final phase of Paris 2024 Olympic qualifiers
- Three uncapped teenagers who could break into Super Eagles squad before 2026 World Cup
- Back in the groove: Rangers striker Cyriel Dessers named Scottish Premiership Player of the Week
- Race for Victor Osimhen: Chelsea concerned about missing out on African POTY
- Kickoff to profit mastering football betting with Tedbet
- 'Didn't give Rashford a kick' - PL all-time top scorer Shearer hails Bassey for pocketing Man Utd striker
- Fulham midfielder Iwobi named in PL TOTW alongside Arsenal and Man City stars
- Who is Sylvester Jasper? The Fulham product observed by Peseiro; insists he's good enough for Super Eagles
- Medical update: Porto's Super Eagles LB Zaidu operated on by Cristiano Ronaldo's most trusted doctor
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football