Did Aribo make a massive mistake swapping Rangers for Southampton?Published: January 25, 2023
Super Eagles midfielder Joe Aribo has not been playing regularly for Premier League strugglers, Southampton in recent weeks.
The languid midfielder was not listed in the matchday squad by his manager in the first leg of the Carabao Cup semi-final match against Newcastle United on Tuesday evening.
Since his move to the Saints last summer, the Nigerian international has played in 18 league games, two in the Carabao Cup and one FA Cup 3rd round tie, making thirteen starts from a possible possible twenty six in all competitions.
Aribo has scored only two goals thus far, both coming in the Premier League - the 2-2 draw against Leeds United on 13th August 2022 and the October 1 meeting against Everton which the latter won 2-1 at St Mary's Stadium.
In the 2021/2022 season, Aribo played an astonishing 70matches for former club Rangers, and country Nigeria.
The Saints are currently bottom of the league table with 15 points from 20 matches and are in serious danger of relegation.
The foregoing is imperative to highlight the fact that Rangers are still one of the top two clubs in the Scottish Premiership along with Celtic.
Rangers are guaranteed a place in either the UEFA Champions League or the UEFA Europa League.
Aribo wanted a move to the English Premier League, sign for a club where he can play regularly and show the world his undoubted talents.
Southampton seemed the perfect club where there are no huge egos and global superstars to deny him starting berths.
However, the club's fortune at the moment and his reduced number of matches clearly shows that he should have remained at Rangers and be an important part of the squad.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Report : Fulham's Anglo-Nigerian player a target for Inter Milan to replace Slovakia center back
- London Football Awards : Olise battles Arsenal trio Saka, Martinelli, Saliba for Young POTY
- Napoli set African record price for Chelsea and Manchester United target Osimhen
- Former Fenerbahce winger Victor Moses prays for Turkish earthquake victims
- Iheanacho partnered in attack by Harry Kane, Mbeumo in Alan Shearer's PL TOTW
- Super Eagles legend questions Chelsea's signing of Enzo Fernandez, treatment of Aubameyang
- 'I think it's impossible' - Reims chief comments on the future of Arsenal loanee Balogun
- FA Youth Cup : PL youngest debutant helps Arsenal overcome two-goal deficit to beat Watford
- Super Eagles-eligible player helps Chelsea break 113-year-old club record after PL debut
- Global rankings of best take on players : Chukwueze on the same level as Tottenham striker Kane
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football