Belgian Golden Shoe : Ex-Liverpool star Mignolet succeeds Onuachu, five Nigerians in top 30Published: January 26, 2023
Former Liverpool goalkeeper Simon Mignolet has won the prestigious Belgian Golden Shoe, awarded at the beginning of each year to the best footballer of the Belgian First Division A for the past year.
Mignolet, who helped Club Brugge win the Jupiler Pro League in 2021-2022 and starred in the group stage of this season's UEFA Champions League, is the first goalkeeper to win the Golden Shoe since Michel Preud'homme in 1989.
The 34-year-old succeeds Paul Onuachu, who claimed the award for 2021, as the best footballer in the Belgian topflight.
The Racing Genk marksman finished seventh in the final standings with 106 points, 578 less than the runaway winner Mignolet.
Four other Nigeria-eligible players made the top 30, including Joshua Zirkzee (Anderlecht), Raphael Onyedika (Club Brugge), Alhassan Yusuf (Antwerp FC) and Victor Boniface (Royale Union Saint-Gilloise) .
Zirkzee was in 14th place with 12 points received, Onyedika and Yusuf were tied for 27th place with four points, while Boniface ranked 29th with three points.
Onyedika, Yusuf and Boniface moved to Belgian Pro League from Scandinavian teams FC Midtjylland, IFK Göteborg and Bodø/Glimt respectively.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Victor Osimhen alternative: Bayer Leverkusen to demand at least N70b from Chelsea for Super Eagles striker
- Who is Gabrielle Onguene? The free-scoring Cameroon striker that can pose a threat to Super Falcons
- Paris 2024 Olympics qualifiers: Keep an eye on these three Super Falcons players against Cameroon
- Justin Njinmah: Werder Bremen's exciting forward to choose between Nigeria and Germany
- Battle for La Liga U23 POTM: Omorodion faces competition from Man Utd loanee, Barca and Real Madrid stars
- Age debate reignited: Flying Eagles coach Bosso justifies selection of academy boys over NPFL stars
- South Africa GK Williams opens up on what he told Omeruo, Aina, Ekong, Iheanacho before taking spot-kicks
- Porto team news: The likely player to replace Zaidu in starting lineup against Arsenal
- Onyeka credits AFCON for boosting his fitness; shares what Brentford boss told him pre-Man City
- 'Difficult to stop' - Barcelona coach Xavi highlights Osimhen as one of the key players to watch in CL showdown
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football