'I'm counting on him tomorrow' - Genk coach hopeful of keeping Southampton-linked striker OnuachuPublished: January 31, 2023
Racing Genk manager Wouter Vrancken has played down speculation linking Nigeria international Paul Onuachu with a deadline day move to the English Premier League.
The lanky attacker has been identified as a potential transfer target for Southampton, who are in the market for a striker or two.
The Saints have reportedly made a bid for the Super Eagles star but the offer from the Premier League strugglers fell short of the valuation placed on the Nigerian.
Onuachu desires to play in the Premier League but a deal has yet to materialize despite his impressive goalscoring statistics in the Belgian Pro League.
Vrancken has stressed that Onuachu has acted professionally amid reports linking him with a move to England and the striker was at his best during today's training session ahead of the visit to Eupen.
Speaking at Tuesday's pre-match press conference, Vrancken told reporters : "You never know what will happen. But I live very fiercely in the here and now.
"Paul showed this morning that he likes being here, but I'm not so naive as to think that nothing can happen today. An exciting day? I don't look too far ahead.
"Paul was very involved in the match preparation for Eupen and I'm counting on him tomorrow. There is nothing wrong with his attitude."
The 28-year-old Onuachu will enter the last one year of his contract with Racing Genk at the end of the 2022-2023 season.
He has scored 85 times in 134 official matches for the Pro League table toppers since his arrival from FC Midtjylland in August 2019.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Confirmed team news: Three Super Eagles-eligible players ruled out of Manchester United v Chelsea
- 2015 Golden Eaglets invitee among three Gabriels on target as Arsenal edge seven-goal thriller at Luton
- WAFCONQ: Five observations from Super Falcons come-from-behind win against Cape Verde
- WAFCONQ Cape Verde 1 Nigeria 2: Super-sub Okoronkwo, Ajibade on target in come-from-behind win
- Bayer Leverkusen coach hints at strike partner for 'strong and technically excellent' Boniface
- 10 players including 3 invited to Nigeria national teams in the past in the running for Crystal Palace GOTM
- The top-rated Nigerian players in the Premier Leagues of Europe
- 'We know he's a very good player' - West Brom boss explains why Super Eagles striker is not starting games
- Houston Dynamo decline contract option for two Nigerian-born players; ex-Flying Eagles star Aliyu retained
- Dapo Afolayan: Exciting winger who learned his trade at Chelsea commits international future to Nigeria
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football