'I'm counting on him tomorrow' - Genk coach hopeful of keeping Southampton-linked striker OnuachuPublished: January 31, 2023
Racing Genk manager Wouter Vrancken has played down speculation linking Nigeria international Paul Onuachu with a deadline day move to the English Premier League.
The lanky attacker has been identified as a potential transfer target for Southampton, who are in the market for a striker or two.
The Saints have reportedly made a bid for the Super Eagles star but the offer from the Premier League strugglers fell short of the valuation placed on the Nigerian.
Onuachu desires to play in the Premier League but a deal has yet to materialize despite his impressive goalscoring statistics in the Belgian Pro League.
Vrancken has stressed that Onuachu has acted professionally amid reports linking him with a move to England and the striker was at his best during today's training session ahead of the visit to Eupen.
Speaking at Tuesday's pre-match press conference, Vrancken told reporters : "You never know what will happen. But I live very fiercely in the here and now.
"Paul showed this morning that he likes being here, but I'm not so naive as to think that nothing can happen today. An exciting day? I don't look too far ahead.
"Paul was very involved in the match preparation for Eupen and I'm counting on him tomorrow. There is nothing wrong with his attitude."
The 28-year-old Onuachu will enter the last one year of his contract with Racing Genk at the end of the 2022-2023 season.
He has scored 85 times in 134 official matches for the Pro League table toppers since his arrival from FC Midtjylland in August 2019.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Super Eagles midfielder Aribo reveals why he's not getting game time at Southampton
- 'Maybe in the future it will happen' - Chukwueze responds to Arsenal and Aston Villa links
- Official : Major League Soccer club Real Salt Lake sign versatile American-Nigerian player
- Peseiro raises concern over Akpoguma's head injury, gives Egyptian referee a piece of his mind
- Iwobi on Super Eagles' missed scoring chances, next game; refuses to comment on state of pitch
- Peseiro responds to question on pairing Onuachu, Osimhen in attack and snubbing Moffi
- Peseiro reveals what went wrong in Super Eagles' loss, gives defiant response to sack claims
- Charlton U21 boss reacts to performance of Nigerian midfielder against Chelsea's Kante
- Super Eagles player ratings : Akpoguma, Bassey at sixes and sevens; Osayi-Samuel stands out; Osimhen poor
- 2023 AFCONQ : Five observations from Super Eagles' 1-0 loss to Guinea-Bissau
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football