'I don't want to write him off yet' - Rangers & Ajax legend De Boer urges patience with BasseyPublished: February 01, 2023
Glasgow Rangers and Ajax Amsterdam legend Ronald de Boer has urged fans and pundits to be patient over Calvin Bassey.
Last summer, Bassey joined current Eredivisie champions Ajax from Rangers for a fee that could rise to 26.5 million euros with performance-related add-ons.
The versatile fullback has taken time to adapt to the demands of the Eredivisie following his move from the Scottish Premiership, so much so that was scapegoated for Ajax's poor run of results which led to the dismissal of Alfred Schreuder.
After making twenty three consecutive starts in all competitions, Bassey was omitted from the starting lineup in Ajax's most recent game against Excelsior Rotterdam.
Ronald de Boer, a key member of the Ajax side that won the UEFA Champions League in 1995, likened Bassey's situation to that of Edson Álvarez and David Neres who came good after a difficult start to their Ajax careers.
"Walk through the current selection. You have a group of new players who are not yet showing it," De Boer said to Voetbal International, via Ajax Showtime.
"Think of Jorge Sánchez and Calvin Bassey, although the latter also just needs time. I certainly don't want to write him off just yet, because players like Edson Álvarez and David Neres also needed time to adjust at the time."
Bassey made only 65 career appearances as a professional during his time at Rangers before joining the Amsterdam club.
Photo Credit : ajax.nl
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Transfer guru reveals why Man Utd are pushing to sign Osimhen, price tag could increase
- 'Hopefully I can convince him' - England U21 boss to hold talks with Arsenal loanee Balogun
- Super Eagles invitee Aniagboso reveals Chelsea are one of his dream clubs; hails Omeruo, Uzoho
- Huddersfield LB still eligible for Nigeria after being unused sub for Equatorial Guinea in AFCONQ
- U23 AFCONQ fallout: NFF responsible for the failure of Olympic Eagles
- Osimhen's potential replacement : Royale Union Saint-Gilloise's Boniface should reject Napoli
- 'Just a pitch with grass' - Iwobi urges NFF to provide infrastructure to match Super Eagles ability
- 'Kane's not going on forever' - Arsenal legend Wright backs Balogun for England call-up
- Hungry Fenerbahce fullback Osayi-Samuel is Super Eagles' new shining light
- Former Chelsea defender reacts after becoming 16th most capped Super Eagles player
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football