'That was going in' - McFadden reacts to Forest striker Dennis nearly scoring v Man UtdPublished: February 02, 2023
Former Everton and Scotland forward James McFadden has underlined that Emmanuel Dennis was close to opening the scoring in the first half of Nottingham Forest's 2-0 loss to Manchester United in the Carabao Cup on Wednesday night.
The Red Devils booked a spot at Wembley against Newcastle United on February 25 courtesy of goals from Anthony Martial and Fred,.
Dennis was originally named among the substitutes but benefited from the injury sustained by United old boy Jesse Lingard in the pre-match warm-up to claim a rare starting berth.
The Nigeria international looked lively in the first half, making a couple of runs down the left flank.
And just before halftime, he was destined to open the scoring but saw his volley strike Sam Surridge and bounce away from goal with the United goalkeeper beaten.
McFadden, who was on punditry duties for BBC Radio 5 Live, believed Dennis was certain to score if his effort was not deflected to safety by his Nottingham Forest teammate.
He commented : "Dennis does well to get a connection on it and it just bounces off Surridge. That was going in as Heaton was scrambling across to his left hand side.
"It was skidding into the near post, Surridge just couldn't get out of the way of it.
"Forest have looked dangerous and created opportunities."
Dennis has not scored for Nottingham Forest since the 1-1 draw against Aston Villa on October 10, a run of nine games without getting on the scoresheet.
Photo Credit : nottinghamforest.co.uk
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Transfer guru reveals why Man Utd are pushing to sign Osimhen, price tag could increase
- 'Hopefully I can convince him' - England U21 boss to hold talks with Arsenal loanee Balogun
- Super Eagles invitee Aniagboso reveals Chelsea are one of his dream clubs; hails Omeruo, Uzoho
- Huddersfield LB still eligible for Nigeria after being unused sub for Equatorial Guinea in AFCONQ
- U23 AFCONQ fallout: NFF responsible for the failure of Olympic Eagles
- Osimhen's potential replacement : Royale Union Saint-Gilloise's Boniface should reject Napoli
- 'Just a pitch with grass' - Iwobi urges NFF to provide infrastructure to match Super Eagles ability
- 'Kane's not going on forever' - Arsenal legend Wright backs Balogun for England call-up
- Hungry Fenerbahce fullback Osayi-Samuel is Super Eagles' new shining light
- Former Chelsea defender reacts after becoming 16th most capped Super Eagles player
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football