'That was going in' - McFadden reacts to Forest striker Dennis nearly scoring v Man UtdPublished: February 02, 2023
Former Everton and Scotland forward James McFadden has underlined that Emmanuel Dennis was close to opening the scoring in the first half of Nottingham Forest's 2-0 loss to Manchester United in the Carabao Cup on Wednesday night.
The Red Devils booked a spot at Wembley against Newcastle United on February 25 courtesy of goals from Anthony Martial and Fred,.
Dennis was originally named among the substitutes but benefited from the injury sustained by United old boy Jesse Lingard in the pre-match warm-up to claim a rare starting berth.
The Nigeria international looked lively in the first half, making a couple of runs down the left flank.
And just before halftime, he was destined to open the scoring but saw his volley strike Sam Surridge and bounce away from goal with the United goalkeeper beaten.
McFadden, who was on punditry duties for BBC Radio 5 Live, believed Dennis was certain to score if his effort was not deflected to safety by his Nottingham Forest teammate.
He commented : "Dennis does well to get a connection on it and it just bounces off Surridge. That was going in as Heaton was scrambling across to his left hand side.
"It was skidding into the near post, Surridge just couldn't get out of the way of it.
"Forest have looked dangerous and created opportunities."
Dennis has not scored for Nottingham Forest since the 1-1 draw against Aston Villa on October 10, a run of nine games without getting on the scoresheet.
Photo Credit : nottinghamforest.co.uk
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Victor Osimhen alternative: Bayer Leverkusen to demand at least N70b from Chelsea for Super Eagles striker
- Who is Gabrielle Onguene? The free-scoring Cameroon striker that can pose a threat to Super Falcons
- Paris 2024 Olympics qualifiers: Keep an eye on these three Super Falcons players against Cameroon
- Justin Njinmah: Werder Bremen's exciting forward to choose between Nigeria and Germany
- Battle for La Liga U23 POTM: Omorodion faces competition from Man Utd loanee, Barca and Real Madrid stars
- Age debate reignited: Flying Eagles coach Bosso justifies selection of academy boys over NPFL stars
- South Africa GK Williams opens up on what he told Omeruo, Aina, Ekong, Iheanacho before taking spot-kicks
- Porto team news: The likely player to replace Zaidu in starting lineup against Arsenal
- Onyeka credits AFCON for boosting his fitness; shares what Brentford boss told him pre-Man City
- 'Difficult to stop' - Barcelona coach Xavi highlights Osimhen as one of the key players to watch in CL showdown
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football