'Supposed to be playing for U23s' - Manu Garba names the Flying Eagles player that impressed himPublished: February 04, 2023
Respected Nigerian football tactician Manu Garba was among the spectators at the National Stadium in Abuja as the Flying Eagles defeated Zambia 4-2 in an exciting friendly on Friday.
Goals from Rilwanu Haliru Sarki, Adams Olamilekan, Emmanuel Uchegbu and Samson Lawal secured a win for Ladan Bosso's boys.
Garba, who was in the Nigeria dugout at the 2015 FIFA U20 World, highlighted that the Flying Eagles had the upper hand over Zambia because they were more dangerous in attack but also noted that the seven-time African champions exhibited defensive frailties.
The 2013 FIFA U17 World Cup-winning coach named Sarki as the Flying Eagles player that impressed him the most in the win against Zambia, and recommended that the striker should be playing up an age group.
The impressive Sarki could have opened the scoring in the 11th minute but his effort from a 20-yard free-kick rocked the upright, he shot wide from a good position in the 27th minute and his effort was punched away six minutes later.
He was not to be denied in the 39th minute as he stripped three defenders and unleashed a canon that the Zambia goalkeeper could not stop on its way into the net.
Speaking shortly after the friendly, Garba said : "From what I've seen today both sides are very, very good. The Zambians dominated the first half of the game in terms of ball possession but the Nigerians were more adventurous, that's why they were able to win the match.
"What we must have to work on is our marking when we are out of possession because the two goals could have been avoided if our players were marking closely around the 18-yard box."
Garba added : "I am very, very impressed with one player they call Sarki. I think that payer is supposed be playing for even the U23.
"This is the first time I am seeing him and even the changes made too changed the course of te game for Nigeria.
"The two teams gave a very good account of themselves especially for the game to end 4-2 but my Man of the Match is Sarki, I don't know his second name. That boy is a great talent".
As first reported by allnigeriasoccer.com two days ago, players and officials of the Flying Eagles will fly out to Morocco on February 8, 2023 for the second phase of their preparations.
Photo Credit : Zambia FA
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Official: 2019 Fifa U17 World Cup star Amoo terminates his contract with Omonia Nicosia
- Former Chelsea defender reckons Tottenham star Udogie is Premier League's best left-back
- 'Slightly ahead' - 2006 World Cup winner rates Osimhen higher than Vlahovic in defensive phase
- 'It's almost unstoppabe' - 1994 AFCON winner Ekoku hails Eze for fantastic free-kick goal against Tottenham
- 'Wasn't meant to be sub'- Wolves coach explains why 15yo son of ex-Super Eagles star was named in squad
- Who is Tyrique George? The dual national winger who could be Chelsea's next breakout sensation
- Super Eagles star Aribo labelled 'brilliant player' by Southampton boss after injury-time winner
- Made in Africa goal: Wissa highlights Onyeka's role in acrobatic finish against Chelsea
- Arsenal-owned goalkeeper Arthur Okonkwo hits double figures for clean sheets in EFL
- 'Mac Allister is quality' - Ex-Man City defender Onuoha praises Liverpool midfielder for game-winning assist
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football