Ex-Premier League star reveals how Iwobi contributed to nullifying Saka, Martinelli threatPublished: February 04, 2023
Hale End Academy product Alex Iwobi played a huge role in the 1-0 win of struggling Everton against Premier league leaders, Arsenal at Goodison Park on Saturday afternoon, according to a former Premier League star.
Everton defender James Tarkowski headed home from a corner kick on the hour mark in what proved to be the decisive moment of the game.
The keenly contested clash was new manager, Sean Dyche's first in charge of the Toffees after replacing Frank Lampard.
Onetime Ipswich Town midfielder, Matt Holland who was on commentary duties for the Premier League world feed highlighted the importance of the Everton wingers in curtailing the dangers of Arsenal widemen.
Iwobi popped up on both wings and in the center as he tried to influence the game with his creativity.
"Alex Iwobi and Dwight McNeal were supportive in nullifying the threats of Gabriel Martinelli and Bukayo Saka.
"They never gave them any spaces to do their damage which was important," Holland, who anchors the Premier League Production magazine show, Generation xG stated on Saturday.
Despite the defeat, which was only the Gunners' second of the season, they remain top of the Premier League, five points clear of Manchester City who will confront Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday.
Arsenal were only previously beaten this season by Manchester United last year albeit the Gunners avenged that defeat at the Emirates Stadium in January 2023.
Iwobi created some decent goal scoring chances from the wing with crosses into the Arsenal penalty area but twice gave away possession in midfield which the Gunners could not utilize.
Meanwhile, most ardent Arsenal supporters are hoping that Spurs do them a huge favour by claiming all three points against City on 'Super Sunday' in a bid to slow the Citizens' chase at the top of the table.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Transfer guru reveals why Man Utd are pushing to sign Osimhen, price tag could increase
- 'Hopefully I can convince him' - England U21 boss to hold talks with Arsenal loanee Balogun
- Super Eagles invitee Aniagboso reveals Chelsea are one of his dream clubs; hails Omeruo, Uzoho
- Huddersfield LB still eligible for Nigeria after being unused sub for Equatorial Guinea in AFCONQ
- U23 AFCONQ fallout: NFF responsible for the failure of Olympic Eagles
- Osimhen's potential replacement : Royale Union Saint-Gilloise's Boniface should reject Napoli
- 'Just a pitch with grass' - Iwobi urges NFF to provide infrastructure to match Super Eagles ability
- 'Kane's not going on forever' - Arsenal legend Wright backs Balogun for England call-up
- Hungry Fenerbahce fullback Osayi-Samuel is Super Eagles' new shining light
- Former Chelsea defender reacts after becoming 16th most capped Super Eagles player
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football