'Chuba was really good' - Man Utd legend hails Championship main marksman after bracePublished: February 05, 2023
Manchester United legend Michael Carrick, who now coaches Middlesbrough, praised Arsenal's Hale End Academy product Chuba Akpom after his brace in his side's 3-0 rout of Blackpool in a Championship game at the Riverside Stadium on Saturday evening.
Akpom is showing he has an eye for a goal and having a good 2022-2023, with his brace yesterday taking his haul for the season to sixteen goals in 23 matches - more than any other player in the division.
He opened the scoring against Blackpool with a sumptuous finish, clipping the ball into the far corner in the 32nd minute.
The Boro number 29 doubled the advantage after finishing off a delicious team move just before the hour mark. and missed a chance to get a hat-trick after failing to get on the end of a pass from Barlaser in the closing minutes.
Speaking post-match, Carrick was delighted with Akpom's second goal and also appreciated his strike in the first half.
"I think so [mark of his confidence]. It was a terrific individual goal and sometimes it takes that when teams set up like that against you and close so much space off," Carrick was quoted as saying by TeessideLive.
"You need that little bit of magic to give you a nudge ahead in the game and it was that. A terrific goal from Chuba.
"Me personally though, I love the second goal because it was a team goal, all the way from Zack [Steffen], through the pitch and to Chuba was really good.
"I was delighted with that one which we finished off with a great combination between Chuba and Riley [McGree]."
Akpom's goals have seen Middlesbrough recover from their poor form in the first three months of the season to the playoff spots in the Championship.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Transfer guru reveals why Man Utd are pushing to sign Osimhen, price tag could increase
- 'Hopefully I can convince him' - England U21 boss to hold talks with Arsenal loanee Balogun
- Super Eagles invitee Aniagboso reveals Chelsea are one of his dream clubs; hails Omeruo, Uzoho
- Huddersfield LB still eligible for Nigeria after being unused sub for Equatorial Guinea in AFCONQ
- U23 AFCONQ fallout: NFF responsible for the failure of Olympic Eagles
- Osimhen's potential replacement : Royale Union Saint-Gilloise's Boniface should reject Napoli
- 'Just a pitch with grass' - Iwobi urges NFF to provide infrastructure to match Super Eagles ability
- 'Kane's not going on forever' - Arsenal legend Wright backs Balogun for England call-up
- Hungry Fenerbahce fullback Osayi-Samuel is Super Eagles' new shining light
- Former Chelsea defender reacts after becoming 16th most capped Super Eagles player
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football